Chapter One: It all starts with a Dream

My eyes blink open, i just a really weird dream... I-I was with my dad and then we were in the wasteland, the rotten brown wasteland, but then these horrible ugly mutations with scales and snarling rotten teeth came out and tryed to get us with their broken claws, the next thing I remember i was holding a knife a strange feel went through me so I charged at the things and started beheading them, sickly blood went everywhere. My Father stared at me for a while before saying "be careful out here boy" and with that I woke.

I lazily get out of bed and walk over to the sink, im still thinking about what dream dad had said, I look in the dirty mirror ,yeah I really need to clean that don't I? I stare at all Of the greyness in my room, the grey walls, lockers and floor ceiling too, in fact I think the only colour in this boring vault is my blue suit with the big yellow 79 on my back. But it's so itchy, the overseer said that he would try to get new suits that don't itch but I don't see that happening.

I focus on the massive creature in my mitror, me... blue eyes, blonde hair, and a blonde beard, yep I need to shave don't I? Now on my to do list: shave and wash mirror. I sigh and bring my arm up to my face and look at my pipboy and look at its green writing, theres a message from the overseer I open and read my job for today: nothing? I'm confused when you turn the age of ten you get a pipboy to wear on your wrist it's like a little computer. It's shows your Heath, your inventory, radios (the only radio I have is the vaults boring talk show), maps, skills and some more less useful stuff. And You get jobs on it from the overseer mop floors, make beds and clean toilets (I usually get stuck with that one.) Anyway the message reads "every vault citizen is to meet today for some bad news, meet at stage, 12:30. thank you" Bad news? what bad news?

I'm still at the sink as I pull the tap and clean cold water rushes out. Ahh I reach into the water and splash it onto my face ohhhh that's cold, i dry my face off with a towel. Sit in a chair and start to happily read a book I don't really know what the books about I think it's about a girl and some dragon and they learn to fly together or something, it's called 'destiny'. After a while my mother starts calling me "Rhett! THERE'S A RADROACH IN THE KITCHEN!!!" I smile as I walk into the kitchen my dear mother is crouched on the table her winkled face in pure horror' the "radroach" a mutation of a crock roach is hissing and snapping at the woman. I grin as I say "maybe I should just leave you there?" Her head darts into my direction I think if she could she would be snarling "Rhett Janla don't you dare leave your old hag of a mother on this table!" I smile fully and walk over to the radroach the stomp on the pathetic creatures head, the green blood spills everywhere, yuck! I turn to my mother on the table and pull her down "i would never leave my ' old hag of a mother' on this table" Right away she pulls me close an hugs me "thank you Rhett! I knew you wouldn't" She says with her head buried in my chest "it was nothing" I shrug. She lets go and walks back, she sighs sadly "your father would be so proud at the strong intelligent man you are" she looks at me a while longer and then finally says something "come on then let's get something to eat"

I poke my fork at the rubbery meat, "mum?" I ask "why is the meat so rubbery?" "Oh dear it's fake factory made meat from the bottom floor of the vault" oh that's why... I bring up a new topic "mum did you read the message that the overseer sent us all?" She looks at me confused, heh I guess getting stuck with that radroach made her forget about it "well it says that there's bad news and really bad" she checks her pipboy and a few seconds later she's worried sick...