Chapter 20 - Gossip

Alissa's POV

"But we knew it before. Both of their families planned it a few years ago." Another commented.

"Yeah." She said sadly. "But I was happy for Marcus when she brought Alissa here. She is better than that spoiled princess. She is a lovely girl." She added.

Princess? What the hell is going on?

"Yes, she is such a kind and good girl." Another one commented.

"But it is Marcus, you can not guess what he will do. If he didn't love Alissa, why would he bring her to the palace? He has never introduced any girl to her parents before her." She sighed. "I hope he will not break Alissa's heart. Poor girl!" She added in disapproval.

"Yes, I hope. Look, the journalists say Stella, and he got engaged and decided to get married as soon as possible."

What?!

A tight knot formed in my throat. It couldn't be possible. No! Marcus could do it to me. Yes, they were lying. Marcus loved me. He even proposed to me. Yeah, probably, the paparazzi found out he was getting married, and they thought it was someone else.

"Nancy, why don't you say anything? You had never left us without your comments."

"Because I knew it. I saw him going to the drawing room with Stella on state dinner day. As much as I know him he wouldn't just talk to her while staying alone with her in the room for a long time." She said mockingly, emphasizing the word long. "It seems she finally managed to convince him to this marriage." She added sarcastically. "And we are talking about Marcus. I didn't believe for a second that he could change." She commented.

I placed my hand on my chest, leaning against the wall as my heart tightened. I didn't feel fine. My legs were trembling. It felt like I was going to collapse. Tears ran down my cheeks.

How could he do it to me? I believed him. I thought he really loved me, but....he was just playing with me while planning to marry some princess.

I wiped my tears off my cheeks with my hand and went to my room.

As soon as I walked into my room, I grabbed my suitcase and started packing. I didn't want to stay here for a second. Once I packed my suitcase, I took off my engagement ring and put it on the vanity table. I left the note for Marcus and walked out of the room, pulling my suitcase with me as I grabbed my bag.

Fortunately, I didn't bump into Ester nor those maids. I decided to go to the hotel. I couldn't go back to New York in this state. I felt bad.

****

I was laying on the bed, crying in my suite. I felt bad. My tears were running non-stop.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door.

Ugh! Who is it?

I got up barely and walked towards the door. I felt numb.

When I opened the door, I saw Marcus in front of me. I gritted my teeth angrily and slammed the door in his face.

"Please, Alissa, open the door." He begged, knocking on the door.

"What are you doing here?!" I snapped, frustrated. "Leave! I don't want to see you. I hate you." I shouted and went back.

I was sitting on the couch, looking through the window. Finally, Marcus stopped knocking on the door. I breathed deeply and walked towards the door. I looked through the peephole. Marcus was still here. He was sitting opposite my door, leaning against the wall in the hallway. He looked upset. I sighed and went to my bedroom.

When I opened my eyes, it was midnight. I had fallen asleep, but I still felt exhausted.

I sighed and got up. I went to check if Marcus left or not. Probably, he had left. He couldn't stay here all night; someone could see him and inform journalists.

When I looked through the peephole, I was surprised. Marcus was still here, sitting in the same place, leaning against the wall.

I bit my lower lip, thinking. I sighed, annoyed and opened the door. As he saw the door opening, he got up and approached me.

"Don't stay here. Go! I don't want anyone to see you here." I snapped and wanted to close the door, but he stopped me by placing his hand on the door.

"Please, Alissa. It isn't like you think." He pleaded.

"What will you say?! How much are you happy to get engaged to your princess?" I asked mockingly. "I came here for you, leaving my family, my country, everything. Just for you. I thought you really loved me, but..." I waved my hands in the air and gave him an insolent look.

"I love you, bambi." He said as he wanted to walk in, but I raised my hand in the air, stopping him. He sighed as he stopped and continued. "Trust me, bambi. It is a lie. I didn't get engaged to her. You are my fiancee." He paused, running his hand through his hair. "Yes, our families planned our marriage, but it was just an arranged marriage. I never felt anything towards her. I just didn't refuse because it wasn't important for me to whom I will get married. It was just a business for me. I needed a bride and heir, and she was suitable for this role. But I planned to continue my previous lifestyle like I didn't get married. But after you...Everything completely changed. I fell in love with you." He explained. "I love you so much and I want to be with you. I just want to share my life with you. No one else! Just you!" He added firmly. He breathed deeply and took a step towards me. "Please, believe me, bambi." He cupped my cheek, giving me a begging look.

I looked at him without saying anything, thinking.

"Believe me." He muttered and leaned his forehead against mine.

"Marcus..." I mumbled.

"I love you so much. You are my only one." He said honestly, looking into my eyes and brushed his lips against mine.

I wrapped my arms around his neck as I responded to his kiss. He wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him and deepened the kiss.

As we were out of breath, we pulled back. He gave me a charming smile. He took something out of his pocket.

"Don't take it off again." He said firmly and slid the ring on my finger. I nodded, smiling. He beamed at me and smashed his lips against mine as he closed the door with his foot.