t w e n t y

I don't know what had come over me when I felt the need to hide my ringing phone from Grace. Her lopsided smile reduced after a minute and it didn't look like she was waiting to bombard me with questions.

Because this is Victor Samuel we are talking about here.

The school icon.

When I dismissed the call I wasn't expecting it to ring again but it did. Surprised, I got up tentatively and signalled Grace that I had to excuse myself. I was minutely relieved that she wasn't making a deal of this.

I love her.

I take a u-turn and walk a few steps before answering the call and pressing the phone to my ear.

"Hey" I say.

"Look up, look up!" His voice sounds excited like a small child. Confused I look up from the carpeted floor and my eyes land up on the cafe door.

Through the window I see a smiling Victor waving at me enthusiastically. What is he doing here?

I cut the call and slip the phone inside my pocket before signalling him to come inside but instead he tell me to come outside. Chuckling at his goofy image, I push the door open and step out.

The chatter subsides and I'm greeted with sounds of whipping air and car honks. I try to greet him with the same stress vanishing smile he has on his face right now.

I wonder what has him so happy.

"Hey" I say.

"Heyyy!" His greeting is radiating too. "I saw you while I was walking by and thought I'd call you." He says, his face as this shine no one could.

I nod biting my lip.

"You weren't busy, were you?" He asks,  furrowing his eyebrow.

"No, no, not at all. The rush is less today" I smile at him. He's wearing joggers and sport shoes that makes me wonder if he is returning from a run. He doesn't keep me wondering for long.

"I was thinking if you decided anything about the math tutoring... " He begins with hesitation bouncing on his heels.

"As far as I remember I did agree on that" I tell him and a shy smile creeps up his face.

"Well yeah... But you never said what time or where you know. It's like a girl agreeing to a an imaginary date"

I find myself laughing on that one.

"Point noted. What time do you think you want to practise math?"

"I'm not the one working," He tips his head at the side pointing at the cafe I work in.

"That won't be a problem, I schedule my shifts, not Sean" I explain. He nods in understanding and thinks for a second.

"Tomorrow at my place?" His eyes move to someone behind me and shift back to my face.

"Yes, sure. What time?" I ask putting my hands inside my pockets.

"Four?" He asks.

"Sounds per—" Before I can finish my sentence, he brushes past me and pushes me to the window of cafe. Air knocks itself out of my system and I try to balance myself by placing my palms on the window pane. What the hell?

Still half slumping on the window I look at him to find himself pressed against me. When he sees my face, he quickly distances himself from me holding my left hand, helping me stand.

I'm about to curse in front of him when I notice a buffed up man with a round belly walking ahead of us. He turns around winking at me and flashing the most scary smile. His brown and gold teeth with shaggy beard makes bile rise up in my mouth. Just another drunk.

"Sorry," He says when I'm on my feet.

"That prick was going to 'bump' into you" He says looking in the drunks direction.

"Uh, thanks" I say. My shirt is displaced a bit and he respectfully looks anywhere else but at me. I quickly adjust the collar and clear my throat.

"I'll see you tomorrow then?" my cheeks must hundred percent compare with tomatoes. He nods absently and I'm not sure if I should run to hide my face. "And yeah thanks"

Our eyes meet for a fleeting second before he looks away and mumbles a bye. He's rushing away just as I'm rushing inside. I don't see where I'm going when I bump into someone again and this time I fall on my knees.

Groaning I try to stand up when I find strong arms hailing me up. I look up to find bushy eyebrows picked together and eyes looking into mine.

"What happened back there?" Mark asks his hands holding me in place.

What the hell.

"None of your business," I mumble before pulling my hands away and walking past him but his hands tighten.

"Ella" He says slowly this time. Past him I see his friend looking at us with curious eyes. "What happened?"

"Like I said," I say as slowly looking into his eyes. "Not your business"

His eyes widen a bit in surprise and his grip on my arms loosen. I take my chance and walk past him.

I ignore the few stares I receive. No wonder they saw what happened inside and outside the cafe.

As I'm walking back to my stool, a beaming Grace flashes me a giant thumbs up. 'You go, girl' I can here her eyes screaming.