chapter 2: vending machine

(y/n) POV

It had been weeks since i officially met Dr. House. The day after I brought in muffins for the team, Cuddy, and Wilson.

Not many lonely patients this week. Cuddy was still having problems with finding a new assistant. I offered to help for the week which she took.

House was called into Cuddy's office. They were having a meeting with a man who was extremely angry. Something about a Car crash victim being rejected from being placed on the organ donor list and his patient that got rejected for a transplant.

I'd hear more about it later probably from Cameron or Wilson. Possibly Cuddy considering how fast all three were walking out of the office.

I continued to work on my newest project, this one for the hospital. In about two weeks the hospital would be hosting a charity casino night to raise more money, most likely to raise more funds for the free clinic.

Wilson came in and asked if I wanted to join him for lunch. He had a lot on his mind and House was too busy for him. He wanted someone to be understanding and give a damn about whatever was going on.

"So House thinks you're cheating on your wife. Are you?"

"No, I'm not having an affair."

"And he deduced this all from a box of $12 chocolate?"

"That's House for you."

"Really? Well I guess it's reasonable that he'd be able to analyze your habits so well considering. I mean from what I've heard you two are inseparable and tell each other everything."

"What? Who'd you hear that from?"

"Well the other day you two were in the hallway while I was on my way to visit one of the patients on my list. So I heard you guys and Cuddy was upset last week when one of you told the other something she didn't want the other to know."

"So how's being Cuddy's temporary assistant going?"

"Good. I'm in charge of planning the casino night charity event."

"Really? Have you done anything like that before?"

"Yes. I have experience in event planning and you know marketing and design."

"I know but it's a lot of work."

"Well I have some time. Just make sure to wear something sharp."

"Why are you so invested in helping the hospital? Don't you have a regular 9 to 5?"

"I have my reasons. No I don't have a regular 9 to 5, I work from my computer."

"You're not giving up much information on who you are. You've been coming and helping here for two years or so. Why?"

"Probably the same reason you show up to work. I want to help people. You do it with cancer patients, I just try and make people feel better even if they'll die or I won't see them after they leave."

Wilson got paged as soon as I answered his question.

"You should try talking to your wife if you're feeling concerned about the relationship. If you're feeling unsatisfied she needs to know, maybe she'll want to humor you," was the last thing that was said before he left.

I went back to Cuddy's office and went back to work.

It was early evening when I decided to take a break. I went to the vending machine with all the good snacks, not the one in front where most patients go.

I put in the exact amount of money and pushed the numbers for my desired snack. The machine whirled and the snack began it's decent until it got caught on another coil.