6. THE PHILANTHROPIST

I HAD BEEN STAYING UP late perfecting the final details of my project, so I was awake when a knock came on my door past curfew. Thinking it might be Ethan, I passed my hand through my mess of a hairstyle before Piper opened the door. To my surprise, it was Hazel, still dressed as she had been at dinner, with an unfamiliar expression on her face. She always had the biggest smile; I barely recognized her without it. "What's wrong?" I got up. "Have a few minutes to talk?" She shut the door behind her. "For you? Of course, Hazel." Piper excused herself to go and make us some tea, but I knew it was to give us privacy, which was so sweet of her.

"I'm leaving." Hazel announced, her tone more serious than ever. "What? Right now?" I couldn't believe it. "Well not right now. I came to tell you before anyone else, since I consider you my closest friend here. I'll tell Prince Ethan tomorrow." I remembered her saying she didn't really want to be here, but she had said she would stay awhile longer, back then. "Why now?" I felt tears welling up in the corners of my eyes; I was going to lose my best friend. "I know it's sudden, but I was trying to do that whole project thing, and I just couldn't do it. I'm no queen, and now I know for sure I don't want to be queen, not one bit." She sighed, seeming so exhausted. "I'm sick of the drama and the protocols and all these heavy expectations; this life just isn't for me." I took her hand, trying to reassure her, as she still seemed torn. "I understand." She looked into my eyes, her expression so sincere. "Prince Ethan is a good guy, really, but I don't love him. I came here not knowing what I was looking for, but now I know for sure I won't find it here." It had been wrong of me to assume everyone here wanted the same things.

"If you were so uncomfortable here, why didn't you leave sooner?" Her smile was back, then. "I couldn't leave my friend here without me to keep her spirits up. I know now you're strong enough to stand on your own in this competition." I started crying for real. "But now who will I have to confide in, to laugh with, to spend these long days with?" I asked, through sobs, feeling selfish. "Oh Luna... you have Gwen, right? I thought you two were close." I sat down. "She doesn't talk to me anymore: she feels like we should focus on the Selection without distraction." Hazel scoffed. "Well that's stupid! As if a sweet girl like you would ever do anything to hurt her chances." I shrugged, feeling powerless. "I for one hope to find a girl just like you to love back home." Hazel said, sitting down beside me on the couch. "But I'm here and I do love you." I said, still hoping she would stay.

There was a long pause. "I meant the way you love Ethan, and the way he loves you." It took me a few seconds to understand, yet when I did, I didn't know what to say. "I hope you win." She said, before getting back up with a final squeeze of my hand. "Are you going to be alright?" Hazel asked, genuine concern in her voice. "I will be. I just hope after all this, we get to see each other again." She laughed. "Don't you remember? You'll be my maid of honor." Of course I remembered. "And you'll be mine." With a wave and a thumbs up, she was out the door, and out of the Selection. By breakfast, there was only nine girls left at the table. It seemed like only yesterday this table had thirty-five young women; now, it felt so empty.

I caught a glimpse of Gwen, who seemed to mouth "Are you okay?" at me. I nodded and smiled, which she did in return. It was nice to know she still cared. I wondered what she'd be doing for her philanthropy project, as we were presenting tomorrow evening on the Report. I hoped mine was good enough, but it was difficult to know when I had no model and no other project to compare it to. I was going in completely blind, proposing something I wished would have been in place all my life. I looked at Ethan, who had seemed busy, and distraught, lately. I assumed it was because of his father, and I hoped tomorrow would help him regain hope that he, we, could make our country a better place.

Though it was only the beginning of October, it was already much colder in the recording studio. For my presentation, I'd designed a dress that would make me look serious, and humble. It was a light blue empire-waist gown with long sleeves and minimal details. It was pretty, but probably the most simple thing I've worn in my time here. On the other hand, Naomi thought a shimmery red dress with a plunging neckline was appropriate for discussing public issue; then again, maybe her particular project called for that. I fiddled with the hem of my sleeves, with my bracelet, and scratched at my painted nails, trying to calm my overflowing nerves. I wondered if Hazel was back home, watching us, or if she'd decided to take a break from it all.

Agatha was up first, looking stunning in her signature green, auburn hair in loose braids. She'd had a lot of dates with Prince Ethan, and was a bright and creative person. Turns out she was also good at public speaking; she had the audience's full attention as she proposed Illéa put in place donation boxes all around the nation for clothing and food. This usually only happened around the holidays, but she proposed there would be one donation center per state that would sort through the donation and give to those in need all year round. "Even as a Five, I have many siblings and we'd be happy to donate our clothing once the youngest has grown out of it." Gwen's project was unique and well thought out. She was composed and regal through it all, explaining her idea of having free crisis intervention helplines for all castes. They would be available on public telephones as well for the lower castes, and  open 24/7. Her masters in psychology really proved to be useful here, as she made her project sound feasible, inventive, but most of all, necessary. "I'd considered having this only available to lower castes, but mental health is a right that should be for all our citizens, and with careful budgeting, no one will have to be alone."

Taylor, ever the superstar, blonde pixie-cut pushed back, was dressed flashy as ever as she announced she'd be holding charity fundraiser shows, no matter the outcome of the Selection. "I have many friends in the music industry I could convince to do the same as well." The money raised would go to food canteens and to improving the educational institutions for the lower castes. Naomi's idea was similar at first glance, but had a different intention behind it. "All around Illéa, there are talented people who go unnoticed. There are Fives performing at garden parties, when they should be on TV; paintings that get hung in some wealthy person's dining room, when they should be in a gallery! If a person is not born a Two, they will most likely never get the ability to showcase their amazing talents. That's why I'm proposing a nationwide talent show for all the castes to participate in." Naomi had calculated the budgets to where there would be one talent show every two years, and where everyone could apply. The winner would become a Two, and it was an amazing opportunity. Overall, her charisma made the presentation quite endearing.

Scarlett came after, and her presentation was almost the complete opposite. Though she was also quite charismatic, her project was confusing. It was something about giving haircuts and better clothes to lower castes in order to increase their chances of getting employment, but didn't she know that still wouldn't increase the amount of options available to them? Although they were friends, it seemed like for the rest of the Report, she was starring daggers at Naomi. Knowing I was next, I got up, feeling shaky all over. I set out the posters I had, splayed out some notes on the table, and turned to face the cameras. Then, I froze.