14. THE GUARD

I USED DARK BLUE FABRIC for Ethan's new tie as it's meant to resemble the night sky. I sewed on the individual little stars and daydreamed of our time in the observatory from a few nights before. It was only November, but the air gave me chills as it entered from my open balcony doors. Although there are still four other girls in the palace, everything had been so quiet for awhile now, to the point where I was starting to get lonely. This Selection has been going on longer than I'd ever thought it would, and I don't know whether to consider this a blessing or a curse. With so little girls left, it ought to be ending soon, whether I'm ready or not for how things might turn out.

I was still spending all my days in my room, only coming out for meals, lessons or reports. It was not only that I was starting to feel uncomfortable around the other girls, but lately it seemed as though every time I dared wander around the palace or spend some time outside my room, I'd run into officer Reed. I still needed to tell Ethan about the things he had said and where he had touched me, but I didn't really have any proof or witnesses, so I figured it was best to just steer clear of that particular guard and avoid him best I could. And yet, as a guard, he knew exactly were each of the ladies of the Selection are at all times; therefore, he'd know the exact time to intercept me before a lesson with Miss Nicole.

"My lady," Reed bowed, though there was no respect in the gesture and his expression was wicked. I nodded in acknowledgement and tried to pass around him as quickly as I could, but he was blocking the way leading to the Women's room. The halls were empty again, so there was no one to hear me yelp as he grabbed my arm and pinned me to the wall. His nails dug deep into my arm as his body crashed onto mine and although I turned my face to the side, I could feel his breath on it. I could also feel is tongue on my neck and hand going from my arm to my waist to my hips. Before his other hand could grab me though, I kneed him as hard as I could and ran.

I didn't get very far, as Scarlett was in the way. "What the hell was that?" She said, disgust tainting her voice. Feeling shaky and faint, I could barely make out the words in a way that would make sense. "He...he's been..." I started, but she held up a hand before I could finish and turned away. I've never expected much from Scarlett,  but I hadn't expected her to simply walk away from me in such a situation. I wanted to run back to my room and hide, but that direction lead to where Reed was, so I went the other way, walking quick until I could find a guard, any other guard.

"My lady?" This guard's tone was full of concern, not teasing and sick as officer Reed's. "May I please sit down here for a bit?" I said, gesturing to the couch near his guard post. I just wanted to feel safe, and this man was the closest I could find at the moment. "But of course. Is everything alright, Lady Luna?" Feeling as though my legs were gonna give out on me, I sat down before looking up at him. He was older, a friendly face and warm brown eyes; nothing like Reed's cold pale face and greedy green eyes. "I'm feeling a bit faint." I confessed, my head dizzy from the stress. "Would you like me to take you to the hospital wing?" I looked up at his name tag. Officer Park stood tall and steady, eager to help, but it wasn't him whom I needed to talk to.

"Actually, could you please send out for Prince Ethan? I need to talk to him as soon as possible; it's urgent." He nodded and turned to leave, but I panicked and stood up. "No wait! Don't leave me alone." I cried, a quiet scream, my heart racing." Officer Park turned, a torn expression, but he obliged all the same, calling for a maid to get Ethan instead. He stayed near me, guarding, watching for any danger as a guard should. When Ethan finally rounded the corner and walked up to me, he didn't seem confused; rather, he looked awfully upset. I wondered if he was angry I had interrupted him in the middle of the day like this when there was a lot of work, but I was too anxious to think straight.

He dismissed officer Park and came to stand right in front of where I was sitting. "Care to explain?" He asked in a serious tone before I could say anything. "I should've told you about this sooner," I started, but he stopped me. "So it's true, about you and that guard?" His tone was hurt, and I got confused. "Wait, how did you know?" Had someone else witnessed what had just happened? "Scarlett told me how you were all over this guard just now, but I couldn't believe it..." I stood up, shocked. "Wait, she what? I think there's been a misunderstanding; that officer has been harassing me for months." I took a deep breath before continuing. "Ever since your birthday, hes been trying to touch me or make inappropriate comments all the time. I was scared to tell you, but just now he... he grabbed me and pushed me against a wall. I was terrified, so I ran and called for you. Scarlett must've misread the situation because she didn't try to help, rather, she just walked off."

Ethan's expression darkened. "You're telling the truth?" I stared into his eyes, conveying every bit of sincerity I could. I would never betray him with another man, I hope he could understand that. Ever so gently, he took my arm, turning it so he could see the red marks Officer Reed's sharp nails had left into my skin. "That's where he grabbed me." I said quietly. "He's been saying weird things like that I look sexy or trying to touch me when no one is around, I try to avoid him, but today he really went too far." He looked down, gently rubbing at the marks. "I can't believe Scarlett didn't try to help you, and what's more came to me and lied about what had happened..." I shrugged, not sharing his surprise at this fact. "I think she has a habit of starting rumors about the other girls."

"I need to get you safe." Ethan announced, full of resolve. He let go of my arm and took my hand instead, guiding me upstairs. We entered his bedroom together and he sat me down on his bed. "Please, stay here while I go deal with this. I need you far away from that monster of a man. Wexlar is here if you need anything." He gestured to his butler, who was sweeping at the frames on the wall. I nodded, and he passed his hand down my hair affectionately before heading out, but as he turned, I held on to his hand. "Thank you Ethan, for trusting me." I whispered. He turned back to look at me, a sad smile on his lips. "I just wish you'd told me sooner; this could've turn out so much worse." I looked down, knowing that to be true. "I'm sorry" He came back to lay a kiss on my head before heading out for real this time. "Don't worry about it anymore."

Too distraught to do much of anything, I stayed seated on the bed and waited for time to pass by. I stared at all the little sketches Ethan had made, the unfinished portraits that adorned the walls, and tried to take in every detail, keeping my mind distracted. A lot of time had passed before Ethan came back for me and guided me back to my own room, but in that time, much had changed. Officer Reed was gone; he had been promptly arrested, though to my surprise, Scarlett had left the palace as well. Ethan let me know he had eliminated her, and this meant there were only three other girls and I left. Yet, it also meant something greater. Ethan had such faith in me that Scarlett, who had possibly tried to sabotage my standing with a vicious rumor, was immediately dismissed.

Though he probably had tons of work to do, Ethan spent some time with me in my room, making sure I was alright and making small talk with my maids. He stayed until I was back to my old self, laughing and smiling along with them, and left me with a kiss on the cheek. Even after he was gone though, I could feel his concern and care for me wrap around me like a warm blanket. That night, even though I was exhausted, I finished his new tie and tucked it into a gift bag along with a handmade card. It read simply 'If I'm all those stars, you must be the sun'.