Training

The morning was better than Phoenix had expected. He could see the passion flare in Wocky's eyes. His smile when dressed in his amour stuck in his mind. It was a shared and nostalgic smile that made reminded Phoenix about the day he had been taught by Damon Gant to ride a horse. Larry, Gumshoe and Edgeworth had been there too. Edgeworth had no interest in becoming a knight, but wanted to be trained to engage his focus. He found the way Lord Gant taught his students pleasant with his useful tutorials and critiques. Phoenix had agreed, and Lord Gant didn't seem to mind how many students came in. It wouldn't matter if they were rich, poor, foreign or even a woman: he would teach them. Phoenix laughed at the idea of female knights, he couldn't see it happening. None of the female students seemed to have taken it seriously, treated it as being just for fun.

Lord Gant's patience to help anyone become a knight, had inspired Phoenix. He could remember the days where Apollo would still fall of his horse. He was surprised that Gant had never lost patience with him. To an even bigger surprise, he hadn't either. He was relieved that Apollo had stopped falling off his horse before he had to go to Fey. He loved helping boys and men improve their skills. It made Phoenix feel more useful to the world. He felt made to love Lord Edgeworth, but being a knight had trained his emotions as well as his strengths.

It was a cruel world, but seeing so many people wanting to change had comforted him.

He observed Wocky's movements. On a black horse he raced Apollo. Apollo turned his horse around and steered over to the oak trees. He could see how Wocky was trying to out-speed Apollo, but he didn't try to control his horse. The horse just ran where ever it pleased. Wocky grinned on the chaotic ride, but Phoenix had a feeling that someone was going to get hurt.

Kristoph sat quietly behind Phoenix, reading a pile of books while trying to observe the training at the same time. His younger brother, Master Klavier Gavin always loved training in Attornia. In general Klavier had been a playful soul and was rarely seen without a smile on his face. Even in times of fighting, he fought with bravery. Klavier was most people's idea of a perfect knight in shining amour. Outside the armour, Klavier would wear silver robes and bring his friends over to town and when the moon shined, he played music. Although Phoenix didn't really trust the Gavin's that much, he enjoyed their company.

"Wocky is showing some rather excellent skills for a novice," Kristoph told Phoenix. "I remember the days when Klavier couldn't even stay on a horse."

"Apollo was worse," Phoenix said.

"I can honestly say that both Klavier and Apollo have grown up to be great knights. You're a fine tutor."

"Thank you," said Phoenix. "Through honestly, Lord Gant did most of the teaching."

"But it was you who taught them the right direction."

"You're too kind sometimes, Kristoph."

"What do you think of my progress so far?" Wocky shouted to Phoenix.

"It's a good start Wocky," Phoenix announced as he jumped on his horse and rode over to Wocky. Kristoph slowly followed him as Phoenix offered Wocky his critique. "Once you start a bond with your horse, you'll be just fine." Phoenix tabbed Wocky's shoulder and said, "It's not the power that counts, it's the bond between your horse and knights."

"Look!" Klavier cried out. "The queen is coming."

"Why hello there Your Majesty!" Kristoph cried in passion. His knees dropped to the floor and bowed. The rest of them didn't hesitate to do the same, apart from Phoenix who was constricted in nerves. He knew Queen Fantina was the most generous person from the royal family of Attornia, but also the most cunning and clever. She blew a friendly kiss to the Gavins, patted the men's' heads and tip-toed over to Phoenix.

"My friend," she said quietly. Her small hand touched Phoenix's broad shoulders gently as she told him, "I'd love to welcome you back to Attornia, but I'm afraid you have to run."

"My good Queen," Phoenix chuckled. He knew Fantina was serious, but he didn't want to show his fear across to the men. "Why must I run? I've only just arrived."

"My husband knows about your marriage to Edgeworth."

"Let me guess," Phoenix muttered. He crossed his arms and sighed. If there was a table in front of him, he would have banged his head against the wooden frames. "Manfred's army is looking for me and once they find me I will have my head cut off."

"Yes. If they see me with you, I will also have my head cut off."

When Fantina replied, Phoenix was beginning to wonder why the Queen even bothered to approach him in the first place. "But Gumshoe told them I was dead. They would have given up hunting for me I would imagine."

"No," Fantina shook her head as she spoke. "They're hunting for your corpse so they can... play with it and torture Edgeworth with it."

"I don't fancy pie anymore," Apollo admitted.

"What about my students and my daughter,"Phoenix wondered. "I don't want to leave them here unattended."

"No need to worry," Fantina chuckled. "As long as they don't know Trucy is a witch."

"Where do you suggest I go?" Phoenix asked in a morbid tone of voice.

"I'd run to the lake," Fantina told Phoenix. Lord Gant lives there. He'll be willing to help you."

"You take over the lesson Apollo," Phoenix demanded Apollo. "I have to go, my plan will have to happen another day, but I won't give up. Edgeworth will break free!" Phoenix steered his house and zoomed out of their sight.

"WHAT?" Apollo moaned. "You can't leave me here on my own." He slapped his head, jumped back on his horse and mumbled, "let's play jousting."

"Splendid idea," Klavier announced, he raised his fist in the air and exclaimed. "I love jousting."

"What's jousting?" Wocky wondered.

"You'll learn," Apollo said. He pointed into the other field. "Let's go off to the jousting field."

"I will race thee, Herr Forehead," Klavier announced, leaping ahead of Wocky and Apollo.

Sprouting out from the ground, Trucy sprinted to Apollo. "Where are you going?" Trucy ran in the speed of Apollo's horse. "Where's father gone?"

"We're about to play jousting," Apollo said. "Your father's left me in charge because the Queen told him to hide near Attornia Lake."

"Can I play jousting with you?"

"I suppose."

"Thanks." Trucy vanished and Apollo's horse tripped up on a rock. Apollo jumped and tumbled over into a well.

"Wait for me!" Apollo screamed, but it was too late. His feet splashed into the bottom of the well and the water erupted from the top of the well.

"That was one mighty splash there, fine tutor." Klavier chuckled.