Fearless

Maya was forced to watch her cousins burn at the stake, watch the heads roll off her aunts and uncles, nearly all of her family over the years, even relatives she didn't know be wiped out in one day. The sight of blood and the cheers boiled her blood and filled her eyes with tears. After saving the last till best, her Aunt Morgan and mother, Misty had tied to a rope together. Hung, drawn, quartered, hung again and burned to ashes. She thrown out of prison hours later with guilt and Pearl had found her. Pearl had taken Maya to the church to seek comfort.

Tomorrow morning would be the day that Lord Edgeworth would be executed. They had stayed in the church with Father Layton. They had been talking about how to rescue Lord Edgeworth. King Manfred wasn't getting any kinder.

"You think they'll harm Franziska?" Maya asked. Her hand held at the level of her heart and her eyes wide open. She looked up to Father Layton who had gathered them to the sacred church of puzzles he adored. He knew the answer to every puzzle in the church. While most would find the word-search walls confusing, Layton could solve with ease. Maya had learned so much in Attornia, but at the same time experienced fear she had never felt before. Her passion for Princess Franziska had contributed towards chaos. She knew that she was fortunate to be alive, but only because of Queen Fantina.

"The wouldn't dare lay a finger on her," Father Layton replied. "She's Manfred's only hope." Layton looked towards the painting of King Manfred next to the velvet windows and said, "But there's one person who would do anything to snatch the crown of her."

"Who?" Phoenix asked. Father Layton had captured every eye and mind in the room.

"Take a guess," Layton said. "It isn't fair that I must always give the answers. Have a good think, every puzzle has an answer."

"Male or female?" Maya asked.

"A well respected man. The king has a high level of respect for him." Layton was still willing to give out hints, but he didn't want to give it away so easily.

"Does he live here?" Pearl asked.

"All his life." Layton replied.

"Is he poor?" Apollo asked.

"Blossoming wealth."

Phoenix let out a massive sigh and buried his head in his hands for a moment. He faced Layton and said, "Don't tell me it's Lord Gant..."

"I'm afraid so," Layton said. He nodded and pointed to a painting of Gant next to the king. "Lord Gant is planning a war."

"A WAR?" The crowd gasped in unison and had become stunned. It was understandable as Lord Gant had always came across to them as a generous man willing to sacrifice his all for the good of his country. They would never have thought that Lord Gant was planning to betray the king.

"It is likely to start when on the day of Edgeworth's execution. It seems he's been planning for a long time. I can't condone it, but if it's the only way to save my love then so be it."

"Father Layton," Apollo said as he walked towards the priest. "How did you know about this?"

"Unfortunately I cannot say," Layton admitted.

"Lady Gant was in confession with you," Apollo pointed out. "I saw her visit you... what did she say?"

"Whatever happened earlier is between Lady Gant and Our Heavenly Father," Professor Layton responded. "I am not allowed to leak confessions."

"You kinda just did," Trucy told him. "You told us that Lord Gant was planning a war and we know that Lady Gant was in confession with you. The two link up very well."