twelve.

this is story is gonna get wrapped up very quickly (probably just a couple chapters including the epilogue), i loved writing it at first but now i feel like it's trash lmao. i still want to conclude it though, can't let myself discontinue yet another story.

also please don't kill me.

• • •

afterward, it all happens in a blur.

so fast that none of them can even stop it.

but at first, it's barely even noticeable. if they had paid attention, they would've seen. they could've spotted the eye rolls and sighs and grumbles leaving barely parted lips.

but they're in love, and love makes you blind.

so blind that it directs you away from itself. love blinds you and your first instinct is to walk away from it, close your eyes until the light dies down, leaving nothing but complete darkness.

but in sam and colby's darkness, there is still a shimmer of light. a glimmer of hope.

at night, when they keep each other close, a tiny spark of affection, of love dances around the room, graces their fingertips when they hold hands. it's so timid, barely noticeable, but it's present. it's fighting for their relationship and unwilling to give up, even if it's losing its shine quickly.

in the morning, however, it cowers away from the harsh sunlight, scared and too weak to battle.

and that's when sam and colby forget that it's supposed to be them against the world, not one of them against the other.

their biggest fight happens on a good day though. really, it has started so well. it's a bright, sunny saturday, they sleep in, legs intertwined and bodies so close you can barely tell them apart under the soft sheets.

it's nearly twelve when they wake up and the first thing sam does is bring colby even closer, too tired to realize that it's impossible. colby does the same nonetheless before pulling the covers over their bare shoulders. they've slept with the fan on, which was convenient when they went to bed but is now a nuisance because the room is way too cold.

a hum comes from sam, laced with sleep, eyelids slipping shut again in hopes to fall back asleep. colby has other plans though, and he places a tender kiss on the top of the blonde's hand before muttering, "we should get up."

"don't want to," sam says in response, a pout settling on his lips.

"too bad, we're getting up," colby affirms before throwing the covers of their bodies.

instantly sam shivers, snuggling even further into colby's side until the brunet lets out a laugh and slips out of bed, leaving sam to wrap his own arms around his waist in search of heat.

at that, colby laughs again, quietly and sleepily, then grabs the first hoodie he finds on the floor and pulls it on. it's cold too but still warmer than walking around their apartment in nothing but his underwear.

defeatedly, sam sighs and sits up, hands reaching up to wipe his eyes before rising to his feet as well. he yawns, stretches his arms up and quickly mimics colby by slipping on a hoodie. together, they make their way into the kitchen to start on breakfast.

and honestly, it's all going good. until it's not.

for the dumbest thing.

the sound of shattering splits the comfortable silence the boys are surrounded by. it's followed by another silence, but one full of anticipation and apprehension. colby's head snaps upward from his place at the table, eyebrows drawing together in questioning as he sees sam just standing behind the kitchen island. the blonde is biting down on his bottom lip, a clear sign of guilt, while he does his best to avoid his lover's gaze.

"what did you just break ?" colby suddenly asks, getting off his chair to approach sam.

sam simply doesn't respond, waits until colby is standing by his side to finally turn towards him, "babe, i'm really sorry, i-"

"sam !" colby cuts him off, the confusion on his face turning into shock as he bends and picks up one of the shattered pieces, "that was my favorite !" he exclaims as he looks up, blue eyes meeting another pair.

"i know !" sam replies, obviously feeling guilty enough as it is, "but it slipped out-"

"you could have been more careful !" colby retorts as he stands back up, throwing his arms in the air in frustration.

sam almost wants to apologize again, but decides against it when he realizes colby isn't even letting him explain. "oh, i'm sorry !" tone sarcastic, he says, "it's not like i did it on purpose !"

colby shakes his head, face contorted with anger he doesn't even know where it's coming from, "it's not that hard to hold a fucking mug now, is it ?!"

"i apologized ! it slipped out of my hand, why are you being such an asshole about this ?" sam asks, the volume of his voice lowering in the slightest.

"oh, i'm the asshole now ?"

that leaves sam speechless. his lips part in surprise, heart clenching at what colby is insinuating. it takes him long to process his words, too long to speak up, to dive into a topic he never thought would've come up.

"what is that supposed to mean ?" his voice is so small he barely hears it himself but it cuts through the heavy silence nevertheless.

and shamefully, colby bows his head, shoulders slouched and lips sealed.

"no, no, no, you can't do that," sam insists. he sounds hurt, colby feels his chest tighten at the thought, "you can't just call me an ass and then go quiet. communication is key, remember ?"

"but that's the thing, samuel !" colby blurts out. it comes out of nowhere, hangs in the air until it's replaced by another statement, more painful than the last, "we never communicate anymore !"

"why are you acting like it's my fault ?!"

"i don't know, maybe you should ask yourself that question," blue eyes narrowing, fists clenching, colby is blunt, nearly careless.

sam is just as careless when he takes a step forward, squinting, "wanna know why we never communicate anymore ? because every time, every single time i do or say something, you make a smartass unwanted comment. i cannot do one fucking thing without you telling me about how annoyed you are, or how wrong i am, and it makes me feel like fucking garbage," his voice lowers to a murmur, angry and pained, "i'm not the only bad guy in this."

colby's gaze is just as menacing, body tense. they stare into each other's eyes, defiant, then slowly, colby lowers his.

"i know," he mutters as finality before disappearing into the hallway, abandoning the pancake on the stove and sam in the kitchen.

sam, who crouches down to clean up his mess, aware that there's no cleaning of the other he's just caused.