Chapter 14: A Diversion

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight." Said Gandalf. They had all gathered in the main hall of Minas Tirith. Niphredil had sat on one of the chairs and Legolas had stood beside her with one of his hands on her shoulder. she was still pale from consuming all of her power, but she was happy she had succeeded to help Frodo and Sam. She had told everything to Gandalf after she had gained her conscious. Gandalf had kissed her forehead. He was so happy to hear the news of Frodo and Sam.

Gimli, Aragorn, Eomer, Imrahil and Finrod were in the hall too. "The darkness is deepening. But just a few hours ago Niphredil gave me good news about Frodo and Sam. That they are fine and are moving to the mount doom, thanks to her." Said Gandalf and looked at her.

"If Sauron gains the Ring, we will know it." said Aragorn.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes but behind the walls of Mordor, our enemy is regrouping." Said Gandalf.

"Let him stay there. Let him rot! Why should we care?" said Gimli who had seated on the throne of steward of Gondor.

"Because 10,000 Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Said Niphredil weakly. "I saw them."

"I've sent him to his death." Said Gandalf desperately.

"No." said Aragorn thoughtfully and turned to Gandalf. "There is still hope for Frodo. He needs time and safe passage across the plains of Gorgoroth. We can give him that."

"How?" asked Eomer.

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strength and march on the Black Gate."

"We cannot achieve victory through strength of arms." said Finrod.

"Not for ourselves." Said Aragorn and looked at all of them. "But we can give Frodo his chance if we keep Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to all else that moves."

"A diversion." Said Legolas and Aragorn nodded.

"Certainty of death, small chance of success. what are we waiting for?" said Gimli.

"Sauron will suspect a trap. He will not take the bait. He is so clever." Said Niphredil.

"Oh, I think he will. He will not suffer the challenge of the heir of Isildur." Said Aragorn and something glimmered in his eyes. Niphredil could see the pride of Númenor in his eyes. She saw his plan. He had planned to challenge Sauron with the Palantir. She looked at him with concern. He was not ready for this challenge.

"Are you sure Aragorn?" asked Niphredil in her mind and Aragorn nodded his head slowly. "so be it, Elessar. But be careful, for he is so powerful." Answered Niphredil.

"Do as you think it's right. I trust your judgment. but be careful about the way you have chosen." Said Gandalf to Aragorn who nodded. "Legolas, I should talk to you. Finrod please stay too." said Gandalf. Legolas and Finrod nodded. everyone except Niphredil left the hall to give them privacy.

"Finrod, do you know about the message of Valar?" asked Gandalf.

"My king told me this noon before we went to see Niphredil." answered Finrod. Gandalf nodded and turned to Legolas. "Soon we will meet Sauron and you have to fulfill your oath to the Valar. But what if Frodo reaches the mount doom sooner and destroys the ring. Then you won't find a time to give the message. What's the king's solution for that time?" Said Gandalf.

Legolas clenched his fist. "I've only promised to do that if I meet Sauron on the battlefield. I myself pray that Frodo reaches the mount and destroys the ring sooner. Who can trust Sauron? for he is a great trickster. It's not only my own people's life that is threatening by Sauron." He said.