Chapter Five: Games

Everyday I wake up really tired and dispirited.

Its until I get to school that I put a smile on my face, saying "hi"s and "hello"s to my friends and the people I know. But, the only person that immediately makes my day is Kevin. 

I used to see him in the auditorium in the morning when I walked straight into the school. Seeing him instantly made me think of all the good times we had. This included the times when we raced each other to our lockers, played sticks during homeroom, played Roblox together, and that one hilarious time when I scared the hell out of him when walking home from school.

That's main reason why I started to have feelings for him.

There was another one that was added to the list recently. It included playing freeze tag.

I remember (the day when I told Aylyn about my crush on him) me and the rest of our friends had been playing freeze tag on the playground during gym class. Sandy was "it" and I ran to where the jungle bars were since there was a wall where I could hide. There, I found Kevin and his friend, Youssef. 

I grinned when I saw him. He noticed and smiled back, "oh. Hi, Raima." "Hey," I said as I sat behind the wall. He asked curiously, "so, what game are you playing?" "I'm playing freeze tag with the others." I answered peeking behind the wall to see if Sandy was coming for me. He leaned against the fence that was used as a barrier for the playground. Kevin turned to look at me and I looked back, "can I play?"

You've gotta play hard to get, Raima.

"Hmmm... alright. But you have to do something first," I snickered quietly.

Haha.

He looked confused, "what do I have to do?" He questioned.

I smiled evilly, "you have to do the Take The L."

His expression was adorable: he looked so nervous. "Really? Do I have to?" He asked half smiling. I jumped happily saying, "yes! Yes!" He turned around to see if anyone was looking and sighed in defeat, "okay, fine." Like I said before, he always makes my day. He started dancing the Take The L for a few seconds. My smile grew bigger and I gave him a side hug, "okay. You can play freeze tag with us now." I chuckled as he pulled the collar of his sweater up to his face.

"HI, RAIMA!"

I screamed and I looked back to see who scared me. It was Mayra.

Why?! Why Mayra?! You had to ruin the moment!

She stole my seat behind the wall and asked, "so, I've heard that Kevin's playing?" I looked back at Kevin and then to Mayra, "yeah. He is." I saw that she also brought Hannah, a student from our class. "Oh hi, Hannah," I greeted as I saw that she was trying to get Sandy's attention. "Hey," she greeted back while keeping her laughter in. Since Sandy didn't know that Kevin was playing, he stayed leaning on the fence. 

"Raima! Sandy's coming for us!" Mayra screamed, I got alerted and almost ran away until she confirmed that it was a joke. "Raima, come back. Sandy's not coming for us, " she replied whilst laughing. They were so annoying sometimes, but that was the main reason I loved to hang out with them so much. I sighed and sat next to Mayra and saw that Hannah kept jumping around, still trying to get Sandy's attention. I peeked behind the wall to see if Sandy noticed Hannah and was coming to catch us. All I saw was that she caught Aylyn. So, I just relaxed while sitting behind the wall next to Mayra.

"Umm... Raima?" Kevin asked, waving his hand. I turned to him, "yes?"

"Sandy's behind you." He answered.

"Yea, right. It's not gonna work this time, boy," I quipped. But, right before I turned around Sandy tapped me on the shoulder.

"Haha got you!" Sandy exclaimed.

I swear I'm gonna tear my hair out if this ever happens to me again.

I groaned, overreacting again. Kevin and Mayra ran away, leaving me behind with Sandy. "So, he's playing?" She asked me. "Yeah," I responded while crossing my arms. Sandy went after Kevin after I said that, so Mayra ran back to me to tap my shoulder so I could be unfrozen. I started to run towards the bleachers, until I noticed that Kevin had been caught. Me and Mayra ran to where the gazebo was and hid behind the chairs. I realized that Kevin had always been "babysat" and I told Mayra. "Hey, Mayra. Have you noticed that Kevin's a baby? I mean, he always gets 'babysat' whenever he gets caught in freeze tag," I joked. She started laughing. "That's so true, Raima," she said in between chuckles. I looked to where Kevin was, he looked defeated.

I didn't even know what came out of my mouth when I said,

"Oh my God, I love you Kevin."

I gasped right after I heard that.

What?!

I put my hands on my mouth and turned to Mayra to see if she heard. She just kept looking to see if Sandy would turn around so she could go unfreeze him, so I assumed she didn't hear. I sighed as I quickly got up to run and go unfreeze Kevin. I was about to until Mayra did it for me.

Seriously? You had to steal my jazz again?!

Sandy was about to run after me until Mayra suddenly calls out "Raima is 'it'!" Everyone started laughing while I groaned again. I counted up to ten and I started to run after Kevin, since he was the closest to me and I had a crush on him. As I was running after him, he was laughing until the bell rang.

Gym was over. Freeze tag was over.

My time with Kevin was over.