Chapter Nine: An Unexpected Confession

Life is hard. You would've known that by now.

It was the end of May when me, Aylyn and her cousin, Genesis, were walking together from school. Genesis told me the absolute worst news, the thing I never I wanted to hear.

"So, got any advice for me?" I asked Aylyn while I was walking with her. She looked confused, "advice for what?" She questioned. I gave her a sheepish look, "you know." She raised an eyebrow, "oh that. Hmmm..." I kept staring at her, "well?"

"Oh!"

"What?"

"Don't pull his hoodie over his head every time you see him. Just don't."

"Yeah, I know. I stopped doing that ages ago."

"I guess that's all I have to tell you."

"Aw, seriously?"

Aylyn ignored my last comment and we kept walking until Genesis attempted to scare me. "Boo!" She screamed. I turned around and greeted her with a "hi". She looked disappointed, "I never scare you." I put a hand on her shoulder and assured her, "you'll get to someday."

As we kept walking, Genesis started to get nervous and finally spoke, "ummm... Raima, I need to tell you something. It's pretty serious." I turned to her, "what is it?" She put a sheepish smile on her face, "I-I'm sorry to tell you this. Just don't be mad at me, okay?" Aylyn joined in the conversation and we both exchanged confused looks, "okay?" There was moment of silence until Genesis took a deep breath and spoke, "you know that Kevin is in my art class, right?" I replied with a "yeah" and she continued, "well... me, Kevin and Yasmari were painting in class today and I asked Kevin if he had read your book. He said 'No. What book?' And I told him about it."

I, honestly, was so pissed when she told me that. Genesis was talking about this book.

Me and Aylyn looked like we were going to throw a chair at her. "What the hell, Genesis?!" We yelled in unison. I couldn't even say anything to her after that. Genesis started stuttering, "b-but I didn't tell him the website! Then I asked him if he liked you back. He said that he didn't, but he didn't want to make you cry. He also said he doesn't want to break your heart because he knows that you're a very sensitive person." I just glared at her while Aylyn kept cursing at her, saying "you bitch" and "what the hell".

Genesis continued her defense, "I told Kevin that you liked him. I got a paper towel and put it on the table saying 'This is Raima's hope for you loving her back'. Then I threw off the table saying 'This is Raima's hope for you loving her back when you reject her'. But I was just doing it for your own good! I didn't want you to be heartbroken!" I was about to cry when she told me what she told Kevin, but I kept my tears in. Though, it was hard to keep a Niagra Falls from spilling out my eyes. Did she really think that telling him would help me? Why would she even tell him? He was my crush and I wanted to be the one to him!

"You really thought that this was going to help me?! Who are you to tell my crush that I like him without my permission?! I wanted to tell him personally!" I yelled at her. "Yeah! She wanted to tell him herself! Why would you tell Kevin that she liked him without even asking her?!" Aylyn argued. Genesis started to wave her hands frantically, "I was just trying to help you!" I yelled at her again, "you did a horrible job at helping!" Aylyn was whispering curses at her now, this time they were more graphic.

We crossed the road. I waited for Mayra while Aylyn and Genesis went the other way. Once Mayra crossed the road, I started telling her the entire story. I was so infuriated that she didn't get it the first time I told her, so I told her a second time. Mayra listened very carefully and took a moment to take in all the information after I finished. As we were walking, she told me, "she shouldn't have told him all that stuff. Friends don't do that." I agreed, saying, "I know, right? She could've at least asked me before telling him!" She turned to me and asked, "so what're you gonna do now?" I paused before answering her, "I actually don't know." We kept walking until I saw my aunt waiting to pick me up at the park, so we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

But it ain't the end yet, folks.