➰Chapter Forty-Three➰

Chapter Forty-Three

"Leah. I didn't think you'd join us," Magnus said as soon as she walked in, revealing that Clary had told him about what happened. "But I'm glad you're here."

"Isabelle is my parabatai. I have to be here," Leah replied in a cold tone, glancing at Jace briefly.

"Stand beside us in the pentagram," Magnus instructed, and she decided to stand by his side, opposite to Jace. "I call upon the power of the pentagram. Azazel, I summon thee. From within our realm, into this mystical confinement, I summon thee! You seek the Mortal Cup, we seek the return of our friend. For this exchange, I summon thee."

A demon suddenly appeared before them, in his human form. It looked around, until its gaze landed on Magnus. "Well... If it isn't Magnus Bane. Brave move."

"Return Isabelle Lightwood and we'll hand over Valentine. He can lead you to the Mortal Cup."

"Valentine Morgenstern, the man who dares to dream big. It is a tempting offer, but I don't have your friend Isabelle."

"He's lying," Alec muttered.

"I'm not so sure," Jace replied.

"We don't have time for a debate. The barrier's weakening," Magnus warned.

"We can still find Isabelle, but we can't let Azazel get away," Jace said. "Clary, now!"

Clary walked into the chamber and drew her Sunlight rune on her palm before aiming it at Azazel. However, it didn't work. Clary looked horrified. "It's not working."

"You thought you could contain me?!" Azazel groaned. He then pushed them all away with a swift movement of his hands and knocked them to the ground.

There was a loud beeping noise that drilled its way into all their heads, preventing them from standing up. Leah could barely make out Jace's face beside her.

"Make it stop!" Clary pleaded, clearly in pain.

Leah watched as Jace's Strength rune activated on its own, and his eyes glowed golden. He was immediately able to stand up and walk towards Azazel and swing his blade at him, only missing him by a second.

The noise stopped, and Leah was once again able to feel her body, panting as she tried to catch her breath. She raised an eyebrow. "How did you do that?"

"I have no idea," Jace said, catching his breath. "It doesn't matter. He got away."

Jace helped her up and as much as she wanted to stay mad at him and push him away, she accepted his help. "I'm fine."

Leah's phone rang and she decided to use it as an excuse to step aside from him. She was ecstatic to hear Isabelle's voice on the other end of the line. "I'm okay."

"Thank goodness! We were so worried about you."

"I know I shouldn't have snuck out... I wanted to call you, but I just thought you'd be so angry at me."

"I'm only angry because you didn't call me to tell me you were okay. Don't do that again, okay? We promised to be honest with each other."

"Would you please let Alec know that I'm okay?"

"Of course. But you can do that when you get home."

"That's the thing... I can't go home. Not yet."

"I don't understand."

"I'm in a good place. I'm getting better, I promise. But I can't go back now."