➰Chapter Forty-four➰

Chapter Forty-four

"Would you please tell me where the Hell you think you're going?" Jace asked, as he caught Leah sneaking into the Armory as best as she could, trying to avoid Isabelle and Sebastian.

"Alec didn't meet up with me as he said he would. I'm worried something might have happened," Leah replied shortly, but then stopped when she realized that she didn't owe him an explanation. "Not that I have to tell you anything."

"What is going on with you? Ever since Sebastian—"

"Let's not discuss Sebastian. You have your opinions, I have mine. Let's leave it at that."

"Whatever. Inquisitor Herondale wants to see us."

"Well, tell her I'm busy. Maybe I'll hit her up sometime next week."

"Come on," Jace said, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the Institute's main office, much to Leah's displeasure.

As much as she hated being dragged around, though, she was certainly enjoying Jace's touch, something she'd been missing for a long time now. Clary was already inside the office when they arrived and she gestured for them to stand beside her, across from Inquisitor Herondale's desk.

"I told you I would decide what was next for you once Azazel was vanquished, so here we are."

"You can do whatever you want with me, but leave Jace and Clary out of it," Leah warned her, her overprotective nature once again taking the best of her.

"Well, that's not possible. The Clave wants to have you three tested, to get a greater understanding of your unique angel blood abilities," The Inquisitor said, leaning back into her chair.

"Yeah... We'll pass on being lab rats," Jace replied.

"No, Jace... I want to do this," Clary spoke, surprising both Leah and Jace with her words. "I haven't been able to use my runes since we summoned Azazel. I... I want to understand why."

"Thank you, Miss Morgenstern. Your willingness to put your own comfort aside for the greater good is to be commended," Inquisitor Herondale smiled coldly at Clary, making Leah raise an eyebrow. "You two would do well to follow her example."

"I'm not a follower," Jace retorted.

"I'll do the testing on my own. When do we start?" Clary asked eagerly.

"Woah. Clary, you can't seriously be considering this," Leah said. "These are the same people who torture Downworlders on a daily basis, remember?"

"Leah's right, Clary. You don't know the Clave like I do. First, they'll just want you doing circus tricks. The next thing you know, you'll be monitored 24/7," Jace warned her.

"I'll do whatever it takes."

"You're so goddamn stubborn, Fray," Leah groaned.

"Look, it's alright if you guys don't want to do this but, drawing those runes... For the first time, I felt like there was a reason I became a Shadowhunter," Clary defended herself, in the most sincere voice tone Leah had ever heard her use. "I need to get them back."

Leah sighed, before turning to face Inquisitor Herondale with a sarcastic grin on her face. "Well, aren't you fortunate today. You get two freaks for the price of one."

"You'll be joining us as well, Abigail?" The Inquisitor raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised.

"You're insane if you think I'll let you put Clary through whatever shit you have planned for her on her own."