01 || there's always a little truth

Updated/Published On:
9th July 2019
09/07/2019

"the thing about love is, there is no correct definition for it. it is simply something that we feel, and when we do, we just know it."
-AnimeLover67-

•••••
(Y/n)'s POV
•••••

A warm breeze blew at me, making me smile as I stepped into the familiar coffee shop. It wasn't small, but it wasn't big either. The familiar guy behind the counter smiled at my appearance before continuing his work of typing the bill.

It was 8 in the morning and I was at my workplace, the 'Sweet Secret' coffee shop that my friend, Kim Seokjin owned. I rushed to the back, pulling on my everyday waitress/barista outfit, before coming out. I went next to Jin, who was writing something on the counter.

"Jin," I called out to him, giving him my award-winning smile. He looked up, amused. He was a year older than me, but he said that sometimes, it felt as if I am older than him, so he asked me to call him Jin instead of Jin-oppa. "Whatcha writing?"

I leaned over his (extremely broad) shoulder to look at the small notepad. It was a bunch of numbers that I guessed was the coffee shop's budget and all.

"Good morning to you too," he said, turning around and leaning against the counter to face me. I bit my tongue when I remembered I forgot to say it. He just smiled. "Looking good, I see. Smiling as ever. Now get your smiling face and make a mocha and a latte for that couple over there."

I internally groaned but kept the smile. I prepared the drinks and immediately served it to them. By that time, the shop was starting to fill in, especially with university students looking for help after all-nighters.

I was soon joined by my co-worker, Park Jimin, who was also one of the main attractions of girls to our coffee shop. Too bad for them, Jimin-ah was taken by a handsome guy (who girls would kill for), Jeon Jungkook.

The morning rush continued on till 11:30, and I could finally take a breath when Jin nodded at me to take five minutes off.

My eyes were just looking around when it fell on Jimin-ah, who was wiping tables. Specifically, on his left wrist. Where his soulmark was.

In our world, everyone had a soulmark; a sign similar to their soulmate's. Jimin-ah met Jungkook-ah in university, and since he started working part-time here starting his first year, he told me all about it. All the feelings, all the rush, all the happiness.

And I felt happy for him. I felt so happy that he got to meet the one for him. Jungkook-ah was a sweetheart, and the two were made for each other. In more than one way.

Thinking about him made me look down, at my own wrist. It was bare, just a plain normal wrist without a soulmark. Everyone got their soulmark between 10-12 years old, and at first I thought I was just a late bloomer. But no. I just don't have a soulmate.

Ever since then, I have wondered what it felt like to have a soulmate; somebody who is made for us. Meant to love us and only us. Soulmates dated and married and them doing otherwise was unheard of.

Someone tapped me on the shoulder, making me look up. Jin was giving me a sad look. He shook his head. I looked down at my lap with a sad smile.

"I'm okay," I told him. He didn't look convinced. He gave me a mug of (f/c). I took it from his hand. "Really."

"I know," Jin said, giving me a small hug. I hugged him back, basking in the warmth for a second before reality slapped me in the face again. I downed the drink and hopped onto my feet. "Ready to work?"

"As I'll ever be," I said with a grin, to hide my pain on the inside. He gave me a wide smile too, and I got to work again.

At twenty-five, I had given up all hope. Almost 97% of people had soulmates and it was hard to find people without soulmates, because they hid the fact. Also, people who weren't soulmates had a fat chance of actually working out.

I knew I was going to be alone for life, but for some reason, I had a little bit of hope inside me, that one day I might find someone. I sighed to myself as I packed the pastry for the woman.

"Here you go, ma'am," I handed it to her. "Would you like anything else?"

"No, no, I'm good," she said with a smile. "How much will that be?"

I handed her the bill, and she paid before leaving. Around 1:00 the shop was empty and so the three of us sat down for lunch. Jimin-ah had gotten us sandwiches from the shop across.

"Ah, Jimin-ah, (Y/n)-ah," Jin said, pausing from biting his sandwich. "My soulmate is coming tonight and we're gonna go for dinner. Would you two care to join?"

"Jin, no!" I exclaimed. "You both have fun, why do you want Jimin-ah and I to ruin it? I'm sure he's desiring some alone time with you!"

Jin laughed before speaking, "No, he's coming to meet you guys. You all have never met, so he proposed a meet-up dinner. We are going on a date this Saturday, anyway."

"Oh, then sure," Jimin-ah replied for the both of us.

"He'll come at 8:00, so I'm closing the shop early, and then we can all go," Jin said, before taking a huge bite of his sandwich. "I already messaged Min-ji about today's timing."

Song Min-ji was the university part-time student we had. She worked from afternoon to night. Since Jimin-ah finished university last year, we decided to take a part-timer again. I nodded at the information, before finishing my lunch.

"Alright, I'm gonna open the shop again," I announced.

Min-ji came at around 2:30, after her university. She had long black hair and black doe eyes. She started her last year at university with Jungkook-ah this year. They were both two years younger than Jimin-ah. She was Jungkook-ah's friend and he introduced her to us since she wanted a part-time job.

"(Y/n)-unnie!" she pounced on me, giving me a hug that left me struggling to breath. "I hate university. Just one week in, and they are driving us crazy!"

"There, there," I patted her on the back. "You can do it, and we both know it. One more year, Min-ji, before you are free!"

She nodded, determined. She stepped back and went to the back to change her uniform. She came out, her beautiful soulmark resting on her wrist. It was a design, unlike most people. The Soulmark was something that connected the two people involved, something that meant a lot to them. So mostly, people got different objects from flowers to wine.

Min-ji still hadn't met her soulmate, and she was anxious to meet them. I tried my best to support my friends, but sometimes, I couldn't help it. I cried to myself, because my bare wrist spoke my future.

It was a truth universally acknowledged, that I was going to be alone forever and ever.

❒❒❒

Words: 1254