McDonalds

It's been two weeks since I've seen Aaron outside of tutoring, nearly a week of constant showers over the town bringing my mood sour.

I walked into school pulling my slick hood back feeling water droplets drip from the tips of my hair onto my forehead. Sneakers squeaked on the tile floors as I made my way to my locker in a hurry to get out of the crowd.

Pushing my wet overcoat into the small metal confinement I groaned as I peeled my soaked baby hairs from my forehead and out of my eyes. My peers flooded around me and each other all with squeaking shoes and dripping hair in common.

"Hey Leise," I turn to see Aaron waltzing through the halls with his school pack slung and baseball bag over both his shoulders. He was nearly completely dry, a dripping umbrella swinging in one hand as he waved with the other. I waved back with my own thin smile despite the few grim looks I received from Veronica and her friends who where passing by.

Aaron approached with intent in his steps. "Could I please keep my umbrella in your locker? The baseball team just got new gear this year and I can't be the first poor bastard to get it wet." He begged lifting up the drenched umbrella to assess its dripping state with a chuckle. Unlocking my locker once again I let him shove it in alongside my few worthless items and bomber jacket.

"Ah! You're a life saver!" Aaron grinned and showed his gratitude openly by throwing an arm around my shoulders and nearly strangling me in a hug from behind before dashing down the hall to his class. "I'll text you so I can get it back later!"

Closing my locker for the final time I shook my head at his retreating form and bit my lip to keep in a smile.

"Don't look so happy with yourself, he literally just used you honey." Veronica sneered walking past while her friends rolled their eyes and clicked their tongues.

Breathing deeply I ignore her and walk in the other direction, if I had to take the long way to get to class I would.

"Did that slut just ignore you?" I heard and Veronica laughed shrilly getting the attention of a few of the people in the hall beside us.

"Of course she did! She's a fucking mute! Poor thing, thinks she can just beg for Aaron's attention." A few people scoffed at her antics but more laughed or gave me a sideways glance as I kept walking. Angry tears collected but I held my breath and kept my steady stride to class.

I wasn't begging. I was doing anything but begging. It wasn't my fault he forced his way into my life, burrowed his way into my head and made me question why I ever went quiet in the first place.

Class became more and more eventful by the end of the day; a few people still snickering about this mornings' supposed catfight. Rumor has it I talked and sounded like an ogre. One said I hit her, another said he only talked to me because he felt bad for me, the most popular one though insinuated I was stalking Aaron and kept a shrine with candles and pictures in my locker.

After what felt like years the final bell finally rang I shot from my seat and headed to my locker to retrieve my jacket and the stupid umbrella that started this whole embarrassing mess. When I got there, there he was Aaron in all his glory, mop of shaggy black tufts especially messy.

"Uh, hey," His hand ran through his hair reflexively and he looked awkward. "is my umbrella still in there? Practice starts in a couple minutes and I can just bring in to the locker room now."

I nodded and he moved away to let me unlock the god forsaken thing that started this whole mess and shove the dried umbrella into his hands. With it finally in his hands and out of mine I grab my jacket and slam the door closed before spinning on my heels and heading toward the door.