Tired

My tutoring session with Aaron where we collectively apologized and didn't apologize ended well and he ended up giving me a ride home. My father was waiting in the doorway with his eyebrows raised.

"Just a friend that drops off homework and gives you rides home?" He accused as soon as the door was closed and my shoes were off. I scoffed and brushed passed him heading toward the kitchen.

"He's my tutor, he just gave me a ride home from the library." I offered in hopes that the pressing would end.

"You knew I was home. I could have given you a ride." My father looked at me with amusement in his eyes while I rolled mine.

"It was on his way."

"With that truck? No it wasn't." My annoyance was starting to flare and I shot him a glare before I opened the fridge for a bottle of water.

"Friends can't give each other rides? What's with you?" I huffed making his chuckle and cross his arms.

"I'd like to meet him." He bid scratching at his chin.

"You already have." I said wishing I could slink away up to my bed and take a nap.

"Invite him over to dinner soon. I'll order out from somewhere of your choice."

"Maybe." My headache was coming back at full force and drowsiness began to set in while my backpack grew heavier on my shoulder. Dad let out yet another chuckle and headed toward his office when his desk phone began to ring loudly.

"Maybe." He echoed still chuckling before he was out of sight.

I dragged myself up the seemingly endless staircase and undid my ponytail before throwing myself onto my bed. The pressure in my head eased once my hair was down and I was snuggled against half a dozen pillows and under two fluffy blankets. Sunlight was still casting through my curtains but it was easy to ignore once my eyes were closed and sleep came to the forefront of my mind.

***

A soft knock wrapped on my door starling me back into consciousness. I sat up slowly and looked outside to see the sun still up but barely, much closer to the horizon than I remembered.

"Anne? It's almost eight, I ordered Italian if you're hungry, it should be here in a few minutes.. I'm sorry I didn't realize how late it was." My dad spoke from the other side.

"Okay," I mumbled back sleepily laying back down once I heard his footsteps retreat from my door. My eyes started to drift closed again but my phone buzzed from somewhere underneath my sheets rousing me once more. Swiping my arms around blindly I found it with my left and and brought the overly bright object to my face.

I'm glad we talked today.. -Aaron

I'll get Ronnie to stop I promise -Aaron

Do you still need help with math?  I just finished the packet for the test next week -Aaron

You should call me when you can, my mom is out for work until the morning. -Aaron

My phone had collected multiple texts from my tutor and I couldn't help but smile while I dragged myself out of bed.

Just woke up from a nap, I will later -Me

Trudging down the stairs with fluffy slippers on my feet I was welcomed with the delicious smell of sweet and spicy food as well as mounds of pasta, my father's favorite. Scooping up a plate I joined my father at our island who was already shoveling food into his mouth while he typed away on his phone.

"Have a nice nap?" He asked flicking his eyes to me before zeroing in on his phone again.

"Yeah, I was feeling kinda crappy earlier but I'm feeling better now." I answered before digging into my own plate. He nodded as if to say that's good and we ate our dinner in a comfortable silence beside our munching and occasional long pulls from our drinks.