Tutoring At 3

As soon as my eyes open I begin to dread the day. My phone was blaring its alarm in what seemed to be an extra loud way and my head was hurting. Pressing the off button extra hard I pressed my palms into my eyes and laid back down with an agitated huff pulling the covers over my face.

Bzzt

Don't forget we have tutoring at 3... thinking maybe we can talk? -Aaron

I'll be there. -Me

Dragging myself out of bed I tugged my hair into a low pony and threw on a new pair of sweats before dragging myself down to eat breakfast.

"Morning kiddo, you feel okay? You're a little pale." My dad asked over his coffee and newspaper as soon as I walked into the kitchen.

"I'm fine, just a headache." Reaching into the fridge I looked around and sighed.

"Try some plain yogurt, your mother used to buy pints of it a week for me. After a long day at work my head used to hurt all the time." He advised taking a long sip off his steaming cup.

Nodding I grabbed a small cup of vanilla yogurt and a spoon prior to sitting across from him at our island. Breakfast was easily quiet with my father occasionally flipping his page or drinking his coffee while I silently contemplated the crappy day no doubt waiting for me.

"Have a good day, I'll be in my office all day if you need me. If you start to feel ill call me and I'll have someone pick you up."

"Thanks dad, I will." I mumbled trudging back upstairs to brush my teeth and slip on my sneakers. My bag seemed heavier each step I took toward the door and I forced the ball in my throat to go down before grabbing my skateboard and wishing my dad well.

Our grass was damp with the morning dew and the fresh air brought a soft wave of calm over me as I skated down the long cul de sac that was my neighbor hood and onto the sidewalk of the main road. The sun had risen just enough to shine through the trees that had just started to grow their green back and cast shadows onto the street. Kicking my foot to gain enough speed to cross the road I took one of my last deep breaths of the slightly crisp air before my school came into sight as well as the thirty students milling around in the parking lot conversing. Heaving a sigh I got off my board and stepped onto the back of it so it came up to hand height where I could grab it.

"Oh look, Aaron's got a skater girl!" One of Veronica's loyal groupies said as I started up the stairs. A few people chuckled and continued on as I kept my back turned and walked into the building. I just want to be left alone, was that too much to ask for?

"Leise?" Apparently so. Aaron walked up to my locker with a tentative smile on his lips. "You okay?"

Nodding I step around him and try to walk away until he grabbed my upper arm. He has got to get out of that habit. My eyes scanned the hallway frantically looking at the few ogling teenagers very clearly not minding their own business. Turning to him almost aggressively I pulled my arm away.

"Let go of me." I hissed. He stumbled back in shock and looked around seeing the multiple pairs of eyes waiting to see the drama unfold. He scoffed and fixed his bag.

"Tutoring at three. Be there." And he was gone, walking down the hallway in long agitated strides toward his first class. Shoving my board into my locker I slammed it closed and leaned my forehead against the cool metal. Heading toward my class my heart felt like it was aching almost as much as my head.

*****

Tutoring at three... Tutoring at three... Tutoring at three...

My head was buzzing by lunch while I hid in the back of the library near the silent study rooms. I couldn't eat the apple or the sandwich I snagged from the lunch room and my creative juices were refusing to flow, leaving my page blank where I had intended to sketch to get my mind off things.