eight

⌯ ⌯ ⌯

CHAPTER EIGHT !
in the loving memory
of Eleanor Crain

CHAPTER EIGHT !❝in the loving memory of Eleanor Crain❞

NOW

       ❝DO YOU WANT ANYTHING?

    Natalie looked up from the carpet to see her husband standing up. He wanted to get something to drink, but wanted to make sure if she wanted something as well.

    ❝Ice tea sounds good❞ Natalie said softly and he smiled, leaning over to give her a kiss on the head.

    ❝I'll be right back❞ he announced and went to get something. She watched him go in silence, but didn't moved.

    She saw out of the corner of her eye how her sister was making her way to her. Her sister sat down in the previous spot her husband was, but didn't turn to look at her.

    ❝I'm sorry for snapping at you yesterday, Nat❞ Shirley said after a few seconds of silence. Neither of the sisters looked at each other, but they didn't need to.

    ❝I'm sorry for yelling at you, Shirl❞ Natalie apologized as well. She saw her sister nod and then take her hand, giving it a squeeze.

    ❝We were so caught up yesterday that I didn't got to ask you how were you, and your job❞ Shirley said clearing her throat. Natalie shrugged, looking around.

    ❝I'm okay❞ she answered nodding ❝Everything is good❞

    ❝Good❞ Shirley said, nodding slowly.

    ❝How uhm, how are you?❞ Natalie asked, feeling a little of tension.

    ❝I've been better❞ Shirley replied, sighing quietly. She felt the awkwardness of the moment too and stood up, taking her drink ❝I'll see you later❞ Natalie nodded and watched her go.

    Natalie sighed heavily and shifted in her sit, closing her eyes for a moment.

    When she opened them up again, she turn to see her father, Luke and Theo sitting down in the couch not so far from her. Luke and Theo looked up as well and send her a smile, which she gladly return.

    The door opened once away and a girl came in. Natalie didn't recognized her as one of Nellie's friends, so she furrowed her eyebrows.

    Suddenly, Theo approached the girl at a fast pace, talking quietly so no one would hear. But Natalie was quick to piece everything together, and her mouth shot open. Trish, she thought.