Chapter 17~ First Job

2 days ago Freed was reborn again as a mage. Now here he was again like old times. Staring up at the job board, searching for the perfect job for him. Now he had someone to help him, their arms wrapped loosely around his waist and their head resting on his shoulder.

"We should just take that one in Ghana falls. Kill a monster. Easy enough."
Rufus puffed some, loving on his mate as he waited for him to make a decision about their first job. He knew how important it was to his boyfriend, but honestly he found it boring to be waiting.

"Hush I picked one. It's in Lulavan. Capturing an escaped criminal. Easy enough to start with, but still a challenge for us to exercise our magic capabilities."

Rufus read over the flyer quickly before nodding, pressing a kiss to Freeds cheek, grabbing his hand as he led him to the bar.
"Minerva. We will take this job."
He set the flyer down on the counter in front of the female who was washing down the counter tops.

"Oh? Together then? Whatever just don't destroy everything like Sting does."
Minerva glanced at the flyer, applying the stamp before waving her hand in dismissal at them with a smug smile on her face.

Freed bowed his head some before grabbing the flyer and pulling his lover home so they could pack.

Rufus helped Freed pack calmly, showing him a new technique of rolling his clothes to fit more in one bag. He smiled as they finished, grabbing both bags despite Freeds protests.
"I got this darlin. You gotta be able to pay for our train tickets and check us in."

Freed pouted some , but nodded as he submitted. They headed out together to the train station, Rufus getting their bags loaded as Freed paid for their tickets. They were soon in their train car, sitting as close as they could to each other. Freed pulled out a book of new runes to start looking through while Rufus pulled out a poetry book to read.

The ride was a quiet and peaceful one with only some handholding and stray kisses exchanged between the lovers. It was a happy time and a decent ride.
__________________________
Freed let out a sigh of content as he flopped back onto their hotel bed, kicking off his boots.
"I'm soooo glad we're finally here. Tomorrow we'll start our search alright? It was nice not having someone gagging the entire ride."

Rufus sat calmly beside his head, pulling the others head onto his lap. He started running his fingers through Freeds hair with a smile.
"Gagging? Ah yes I remember. The dragon slayers commonly shared motion sickness. When we travel as a group from Sabertooth, Rogue and Sting get their own car so we have some peace and quiet."

Freed smiled some as he relaxed in Rufus's lap, his eyes closing some as his hair was played with.
"Mhm. Laxus is terrible about it too. Tries to ignore it, but only makes it worse."

Rufus nodded along some, still brushing his fingers through the green hair.
"I bet. So tomorrow we should start looking at the last place our criminal was seen. Roger Higgins. Uses a weapon requip. Daggers and swords are the main weapons of choice. Am I forgetting anything love?"

"He was last seen at a bar called Pollos Tavern. They open at 10 so we should be there with plenty of time to eat a balanced breakfast."

Rufus smiled some and kissed Freeds forehead before standing and pulling out their respective pajamas.
"Ahh yes. Let's get ready to sleep then. It's been a long train ride. We were on nearly all day."

Freed nodded tiredly and they were soon curled up in bed together, Rufus spooning Freed from behind happily.

Freed yawned softly as he turned off the last light, relaxing in his spot in Rufus's arms.
"Night Roof. I love you."

"Love you too Free. Tomorrow we're gonna start hunting the bad guys. I know you'll do amazing."

Both males fell asleep with no difficulty, unaware how much harder their lives were about to get.