16: They Call Her Modest

"...there isn't anything positive to say about the date..."

I watch in horror as the tape plays back what would be aired for the next episode in a few days.

"No, no, no," I shake my head. "There's absolutely no chance in hell I'm letting you put that in the episode."

"But-"

"No!" I cut Sebastian off. "Do you know what that would do to my reputation?"

"Uh, yeah! It would make you the hottest girl on campus!" Clarkson puts his two cents in.

If we weren't cramped in the back of the white van that surprisingly already held about seven of us in here, I would have reached over to the back where Clarkson was sitting and hit him in the forehead. "Are you insane? People worship Chris like he's the man who invented football. If I were to ever put him in a bad light, they'd crucify me."

"Or, they'd think you were cool enough to diss the most popular guy at school and soon you'll be worshipped," Penelope addresses from her seat next to Clarkson.

I stare back at the screen as it's paused on a frame of my face that looks disgusted at the thought of my date.

"Hon, if you didn't like the way the date went, then you have to be honest with everyone."

Of course my dad wants me to tell the truth. He's rejoicing as a father that his daughter had a terrible time with a boy. "Dad, you're saying because you're happy the date was unsuccessful."

"Not entirely," He shrugs innocently, "I didn't raise you to be dishonest."

Right...because I hadn't covered up his tracks from mom those times I caught him sneaking in a burger here and there while she was gone. "Okay..."

"Love, when it comes to reality shows, the more scandalous the better. Your name's not going to be in the magazines because you had a good date, it'll be because you can't wait to let everyone know how horrible it was," Penelope explains what everyone is thinking.

Though I understand where they're coming from, my moral compass was telling me to head south and avoid any type of altercation altogether. Obviously, there wouldn't be anything good that could possibly come from this. Plus, Chris is a nice person - he didn't deserve to have his name in the media on my behalf. "Chris is innocent. I'm the one who had a bad time. He seemed to think it was a good date."

"But he's not the one with a show," Liam says from the sidelines.

I bite my lip. On one hand, I would feel terrible, but on the other hand, I guess it wouldn't hurt if my popularity shot up.

"Sweetheart, it's not that big of a deal. We've all gone through bad dates before, they're nothing to be ashamed of," Mom attempts to ease the situation. Everyone else nods along with her.

"But they weren't exposed for the entire country to see. He's the one who's going to be ashamed! Apparently, I'll be a hero where as Chris will be embarrassed."

"You're really defending him?" Dad scrunches his face.

"I don't hate the guy," I answer.

"But you don't exactly owe him anything either," Clarkson points out. "Remember, this is your show."

I sigh. How could I forget when they constantly remind my by shoving situations like this down my throat? "Fine." I would get more complaints if I refused, I might as well let them have what they think is best. "I guess you can air that part. Just don't let anyone hear what Darcy and Jagger say. I don't want them to get a bad reputation too."