10 | Unforeseen Dangers

"What are you doing here?" Draco bit out, subconsciously positioning himself between Hermione and Greyback. 

The Death Eater didn't miss the movement, his eyes narrowing in on him shrewdly. 

"Looks like the pup finally found his voice," Greyback mocked. "Nothing like the cowering little scamp he was back in the day," he told Hermione with a vicious smile. 

"Shut the hell up," Draco warned. 

"Uh uh uh," Greyback warned, waving his wand mockingly. "Or you'll be at the mercy of more than my wand tonight." 

"I've already been bitten," Draco scoffed. Not that Greyback needed to know he didn't transform.  

"Yes, but she hasn't," his eyes wandered to Hermione predatorily. "It's been a while since I've enjoyed a women's flesh in both senses of the word... at the same time." 

"You won't lay a hand on her," Draco growled, sheltering Hermione behind him more overtly. 

He'd pulled her closer with a firm grip on her wrist, a little surprised that she didn't even resist his handling. If anything, she pressed closer against his back, as stiff as a door. It was the slight quivering he felt at his back coming from her anxious form that sent red hot rage flooding his senses like nothing before. 

"Like you'll stop me?" Greyback laughed. "Get it through your head, you were always inferior- even as a Malfoy. Inferior to the Dark Lord as a Death Eater, and now inferior to your alpha as a werewolf." 

"I don't belong to your pack," Draco spit out. "Besides, I wouldn't let you within a foot of her." 

Greyback quirked an eyebrow in amusement. "Oh you won't, now? You're awfully protective."     

"And you must be awfully stupid to target the golden girl- she has the protection of the entire ministry at her fingertips, if not the whole of Wizarding London," Draco smoothly deflected. 

Damn, he'd revealed too much to Greyback. 

"Makes it all the more fun for when they fail," Greyback flashed his canines dangerously. "And mark my words, they will fail. Not even you will be able to protect your little pet, Malfoy." 

"You seem to be under the impression that I'd come quietly," Hermione said firmly, stepping out from behind Malfoy. Her confidence and fearlessness betrayed to Draco by the minuscule tremors he could feel coming from her. 

"By all means, sweetheart, fight!" Greyback laughed excitedly. "It makes the hunt so much more enjoyable. Knowing you spend your days waiting for, even fearing, the moment I finally slip through everyone's defenses." 

"The only thing waiting for you is a cold cell in Azkaban." Hermione bit out. 

"I could take you right now if I wanted," Greyback murmured silkily. 

Draco stiffened, knowing they were next to defenseless at the moment and no match for a werewolf with a wand. He could take her right now, and he couldn't do a bloody thing to stop it. His wolf was in a frenzy within him, practically tearing at his insides for even thinking of such a reality. Consequently his grip on Hermione tightened, and Greyback narrowed his eyes in amusement at the motion. 

"Don't worry," He said breezily. "I told you, I don't intend to harm you... tonight. Where's the fun in that?"  

Before Greyback had the chance to continue, Malfoy reached deep within himself, summoning all his stored energy, bringing it flooding to his fingertips. Hermione startled slightly at the pulse of magic where Draco's fingers were wrapped around her delicate wrist, and that was her only warning before he blasted Greyback with an unrefined jet of pure silver magic. Not missing a beat, she took the chance to summon their wands to her grasp, immediately backing his burst of energy with a well placed stunning spell. Unfortunately, even the strongest of stunning spells would only faze a full-blooded werewolf.