17 | Hatching a Plan

Draco couldn't remember the last time he'd felt so at peace. He'd guess before the werewolf attack, but even then he couldn't pinpoint one exact moment. Hermione stirred in his arms, unintentionally snuggling deeper into his embrace in her sleep. Her wild array of hair was surprisingly soft and he couldn't help but feel protective as he tucked her head under his chin.

Relaxed as he was, he couldn't still his thoughts. He knew for sure Hermione wanted to be with him; he'd made sure of it before he'd started this. He thought his being a partial werewolf would be more of an issue, but so far it didn't seem like it. He knew without a doubt Hermione had to be his mate, but he felt no urge to do anything about the matter other than be with her and protect her. He couldn't tell if that was a werewolf trait or a Malfoy trait. While he'd never been particularly attached to any of his girlfriends in the past, Malfoys were also notoriously possessive. Granted the wolf did seem to have that slightly concerning desire to see her with child- his child. But Draco was relieved he seemed to have enough control to keep that on the back burner. He didn't suspect he'd have to bite Hermione or anything; he didn't even grow canines. He smirked to himself. He was basically a neutered werewolf since he literally could not bite anyone.

When he finally drifted to sleep, he was hopeful in the light of their self-imposed hiding. They might still have to face Greyback, but they were together, and that gave him even more. His family was growing. He had a godson. Hermione Granger was willingly and trustingly sleeping in his arms. Things he could've never even foreseen in his wildest dreams five years ago. It was almost too good to be true.

 ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ・☽ ༓ ☾・  ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶  ̶̶̶̶

"Draco," a concerned voice called distantly. "Draco, wake up."

The wizard jerked awake from the prompting of the borderline panicked voice. He looked to Hermione whose face looked ashen. His heart dropped. But before his mind could race into a slew of fears about Hermione having second thoughts, his eye caught sight of the large misty stag at the foot of their bed.

"Bloody hell-" he murmured, flinching back.

"Greyback was here, come to the hospital immediately. Bring Hermione."

Harry's message was brief and to the point, but it had both of them faltering in terror. Ginny. Their godson. What happened? They were both scrambling out of bed without a word, hastily dressing. When Draco extended his arm to her to apparate them, Hermione's nails dug into his arm.

They found Harry near the entrance of the ward.

"Harry," Draco called out.

"Ginny?" Hermione asked immediately, breathless from their rush over.

"Fine, she's in her room with James," Harry waved off.

"You left her alone?" Draco demanded.

"Of course not, her family's with her," Harry snapped.

"Then Greyback-" Hermione began in confusion.

"Ginny wasn't the target," Harry said regretfully. "Katie was sticking around to keep checking in on Ginny up until she could be discharged home. He caught her by surprise."

Hermione paled, feeling the air leave her all at once. "Is she alive?"

"Yea," Harry quickly assured. "She was supposed to meet Cormac for lunch, so when she didn't show, he went looking for her. He got there right in time..."

"Where is she?"

"Trauma ward," Harry said softly.

Hermione turned on her heel, heading down the familiar halls until she reached her ward. Draco was right on her heels, paranoid enough now to not want to leave her alone even for a second. Snatching up the nurses' chart on their patients, she quickly identified Katie's room.