11 | Playing With His Food

Luckily, moving to Katie's flat hadn't been as bothersome as Hermione had feared. It gave her an excuse to see her best friend more often, and despite all her show of bravery, it was reassuring living with someone else. 

For the time being, the girls rearranged their schedules so they could come and go from work at similar times, making sure Hermione was never alone for too long. Not that she was ever truly alone; there were always Aurors posted wherever she was meant to be. 

But Cormac had been refreshingly accommodating during this time, keeping true to his picnic dates. He would surprise her with a new type of cuisine every time, making her routine days a little more exciting. One time Katie accidentally walked in on them just as they were about to start eating, leaving immediately with the biggest grin on her face, ignoring their calls for her to join them. 

 ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶«̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ・☽ ༓ ☾・  ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶ ̶̶̶ ̶»̶ ̶̶̶ ̶ ̶  ̶̶̶̶

-- KATIE'S FLAT

The girls were back at Katie's flat, enjoying a quiet night in, which had become a common occurrence for them over the last week. Things were quiet on the Greyback end of things, but the Aurors didn't want to take any risks. 

They were lounging on Katie's king-sized bed with cartons of Chinese takeout. 

"So, you and Cormac seem to be shaping up nicely," Katie said innocently. 

"I suppose," Hermione grinned. "I rather like the man he's become." 

"You and me both," Katie laughed. "I always thought it was a shame he was such an arse back in Hogwarts. Fit, but still a git." 

"I know! You know he actually asked me if he should rescue you from Nott at the ball? I didn't even have to ask." 

"I'm glad he did," Katie said gratefully. 

"What is it with you and Nott anyway?" Hermione asked curiously. "I've never seen you so unsettled by someone, not even Draco!" 

"Draco, is it?" Katie prodded, evading Hermione's question. 

"Come on, Katie," Hermione pressed, unfazed. "I know you, you're no less forgiving and accepting than I am. Why don't you like Nott." 

"I don't hate Nott," Katie insisted. "I don't even know him really." 

"Exactly, and he's quite the looker too, and from what I've seen and heard, he seems to like you quite a bit." 

"He doesn't know me either." 

"But he wants to," Hermione pointed out. 

"Hermione," Katie sighed frustratedly. "It's complicated..." 

"What happened?" 

"Nott was a Death Eater during that year," Katie said helplessly. 

"You know he's been cleared of all charges, right?" Hermione asked patiently. 

"Of course I know that, but sometimes being a bystander in the face of everything they've witnessed just isn't forgivable!"