Chapter Three: Confused

I walk outside of the doorway for Algebra at the end of class, hoping to catch Blake on the way out. I wait for him until I finally notice him.

"Blake!" I feel stupid as an amused look crosses his face and he arches an eyebrow .

I walk over to the side , nodding my head in my direction , and signaling him to follow me. We pull away from the busy hallway and enter a small nook that used to have a water fountain, but the old one never got replaced. He asks,"What's up, Rebel?" He says it so casually, like he's not judging me - that's wierd. "Just a question, Harrington." His mouth quirks up on the side,"Go for it." I breathe in deeply and say ," Why did you do that back there?"

"In algebra?"

I nod quickly, "Yeah, in algebra."

"Not much."

Impatience spreads across my face," Blake, why did you cover for me?"

He shrugs ,"It wasn't a big deal , Nerds."

My mouth tightens before I mutter," Don't ever call me that again."

"Why," he asks, curiosity lighting his eyes," Why not ?"

My eyes harden," Just don't okay? But thanks from before, but I can take care of myself."

I angrily pad down the hard, tile floor a few steps before I hear other sharp footsteps and halt. Two large, strong hands hold me back in their grasp.

It's Blake.

He holds me from in front and a small glare of hard desperation gleams off his face. It surprises me. What does he want?

I think his own facial expression surprises him, too, before he suddenly removes his hands . I watch him walk backwards, eyeing me curiously. After a few steps, he turns and walks on down the hall, turning the corner at the end. Right before he turns the corner, though, he gives me a look that reads confusion , a little bit if wonder, and a little bit of something else I can't decipher.

What just happened?