Chapter Seven: ....Party?

"Rebel-"
Blake gets up off the bed, "It's my fault. My father wanted-"
My mother's eyes widen.
"Okay. Just get out."
"But-"
"Go, Blake, and tell Mr. Harrington no to whatever he asked. I don't want it."
Blake nods, his mouth tight. He looks down at me, his eyes telling me goodbye, and he'd talk to me later.
The door slams shut, and I'm halfway up the stairs before I hear, "I'm making us a pizza. Be down in 15 minutes."
"Okay."
My door slams shut, and I wonder why she didn't say anything.... Did she know more about Blake's dad than I did?
What did he want with her?
Did he really beat Blake?
So many questions.
Not many answers.
Would I have to wait until school tomorrow-
My thoughts are interrupted by a thump echoing throughout the room.
My head swivels around. Oh. I walk over to my window. A small square piece of paper is jammed into the window sill. I work it out and leave the window open. Noone's outside.
I open the piece if paper.
. . .
Dear Rebel,
I'm not one much for letters but I want you to understand more about me- I need to explain some things to you- along with that I have a question. This is so formal but take it seriously
-Blake
P.S: call me at 334-555-908
. . .
I call the number after thinking for a second.

"Hello?"
"Hey, baby."
Well that threw me off- here comes the saracasm, yet another reward for knowing the one and only Rebel.
"Baby? As far as I'm concerned-"
Blake laughs, carefree in the background.
"What are you laughing for?"
"No reason."
"No reason...?"
"Nope."
A few seconds pass and the humor leaks out of me as I hear sounds on the other line.
"What are you doing?"
I'm getting my four wheeler."
"What, why?"
"Well, see we need to talk and you need to meet me somewhere."
"Uh ok."
More crunches occur in the background.
He's probably running through the woods even though he didn't sound out of breath at all.
"Listen real quick okay-"
"Okay say it."
"I'm gonna come pick you up in about five. Then I'll explain some things to you. Then we're having some fun."
"Fun...?"
"I'll explain soon, just be ready."
The lines crack disconnected as his hurried tone disappears.
"Okay..."
I sigh but can't keep the rush of excitement from flowing into me.
Fun.
I shiver with excitement, but realize I'm also shivering because the breeze in from my open window.
I walk over to it again and pause.
She would never notice.....
if I just left for a few minutes would she?
"Rebel."
My head swings toward the window.
Blake isn't by the window. It's her. My mother. She stands in the doorframe.
Her eyes go from my phone, the note, to me , and then to the open window near me. They come back to me.
"You better not sneak out."
I look at her with an irritated gaze," Now, you care."
I roll my eyes, "What'd you want?"
"Pizza's ready." After a skeptical glance, she quietly shuts my door.
After I hear clanging plates in the kitchen, I kick the door and lean against it, shutting my eyes.
She will never really care.
"Rebel."
"What?" I snap, defeated, as a tear scrapes its knees on my cheek, as it slides down. I don't know how much time passes.

I hear the screech of my window opening further, and my eyes pop open.
Blake stands near the window, on the outside. He grin soon dissapears and he crawls in my window.
"Hey, what's wrong..?"
He comes over to me. The purr of what must his four wheeler hums in the distance. I sigh, "It's just her.."
He sits down beside me.
"I don't like my Dad, either."
That shuts me up, even if he doesn't realize it.
I nod, "Yeah, things could always be worse."
He nods," Yeah.."
He touches my clenched fist I didn't realized was clenched. I open my hand and he slides his hand in.
We sit in silence for a moment.
"I wanted to tell you about my Dad, just so you know what's going on.."
I nod, angling myself towards him more.
"Mm hmm."
"My Dad doesn't beat me."
My head tilts up, listening, watching his eyes peer softly into mine.
"I've heard the rumors. It's just that.. my Dad used to be a drinker.. as in he's been off if it for a year. People don't think I hear their whispers when I come back to school scratched or bruised up a bit. But those bruises are just from ......my job."
"Your job?"
He nods, "I.....help out in the rock quarry my Dad owns. It's just that way. And Dad used to drink because, well, my Grandpa died and it seemed that when Mom died it tore him apart. Then, two months of heavily drinking later, Grandpa died of natural causes. He turned to drinking. Dad and I used to get in so many fights. But it's over now. Grandpa gave Dad the rock quarry, and now Dad owns it. This was all just last year. I just want you to know the truth because I don't even care who else does."
I sit in silence, drinking it all in.
Then I say, "Blake..?"
"Yeah?" He tilts his head towards me. I lean forward and kiss him slowly, leaning against him.
After a moment I lean back.
"You are one of the strongest people I know, Blake."
He shakes his head, "No, don't say that. You are so much stronger than I am."
I shake my head this time. "Not even close."
He grins, "You so are." He smooths down my hair, smiling.
"You Rebel."
I grin casually, feeling special to him.
"Now, lets go to that party."
----
Note from the author----
Over 500 reads?! You guys rock! Sorry for a really late update guys...
Stay awesome.