Chapter 3

The world was frozen.

An infinite landscape of ice spread out before you, the sky a pale grey. The structure of the ice was not of earth. It seemed to gleam, but at the same time appear grainy. It was a harsh place. The ice rose high, like mountains reaching toward the cloud-shrouded sun to find any relief from the cold. The tips of ice-towers ended in sharp points, and chasms waned deeply into the ground. Everything seemed to have been formed to have a sharp edge. 

Suddenly, you were whipped forward, the ice becoming a blur of white and blue color. When you again halted, you were looking at a castle, of sorts. It had the appearance of being carved from the ice by a poor sculptor, the entrance one of the only visible signs to distinguish a structure from the frozen wall. Off in the distance down a jagged path in the ice, it had a grand cousin. An entire city of frozen white stone and snow. It was beautiful, and frightening. 

You blinked, and stood inside the rugged castle. The room you found yourself in was circular of shape, the walls and floor gleaming like a frozen lake. Pillars of frozen stone supported the ceiling. Toward the back of the room, there was a grand chair, also appearing to have been cut from out of ice. It was imposing; regal. And empty.

You were rushed forward again, the city and the poor castle blurring. This time, it felt as though the air had left your lungs. It burned, but you payed it no heed. You had the focused energy of one seeking something. Something powerful.

 But what? It was close. 

Glimpses of inhuman corpses scattered the ground. 

Your lungs continued to blaze as you flew forward.

 It had to be close--

You shot awake, sucking in air, gasping. Absently, you could feel Loki startling awake in a panic as well, his emotions an exact replica of your own.  It took you a full minute before you could think straight. What had you been seeing in the dream? You had never been so imaginative in your life.

 "Was that my dream, or his?" You asked out loud, as if whatever force had connected you to the war criminal would answer. It did not. 

You felt cold, despite your blankets. You rubbed your eyes with shaking hands, trying to remember the details of the nightmare. That urgent seeking made your throat constrict, even in wakefulness. You took a deep breath and decided to shove the nightmare to the back of your mind.

You were discharged from the hospital that morning. They sent you off with prescription pain killers for the wound in your side and unnecessary instructions on how to care for your stitches. It was around noon, after you had checked into a hotel in a part of the city that hadn't taken the brunt of battle, that you realized you had no way of contacting any of the superheros you had met the day before. How was Thor to find you if no one he was in contact with knew your location? 

A knock came at your door.

You got up from the bed you had flopped onto and cautiously looked out the peep-hole. Thor stood on the other side of the door, looking miserably out of place in his armor and cape. However, he was almost unrecognizable without his hammer.  

You hurriedly unlatched both locks and flung the entrance wide open. "Is there a way to get rid of it?" You demanded immediately. You had been feeling Loki getting impatient about something all morning, and frankly, the extra set of worry and bad temper was not something you wanted to live the rest of your life with. 

Thor moved passed you into the room, and you closed the door, leaning against it and crossing your arms. "Is there?"

"No," the Asgardian answered. He met your eyes earnestly, as if he worried you would blame him personally. "I'm sorry. There is very little known about soulmate simply because there are so few recorded cases of it."