Chapter 10

The cell door screeched as it swung inward. 

You were immobile, afraid, rigid, excited. That was a surprising feeling to find bubbling in your stomach. But as you crouched, still as a rock, with Loki's tense form pressed against you, you felt ready.

The frost giant stepped into the cell. Loki lounged, illusions vanishing. He hit the surprised giant in the face with his elbow. The warden bellowed angrily, swinging in confusion at the lithe Asgardian. Loki easily got out of the way, then grabbed the medal bars of the door and slammed it into his opponent. This seemed to barely inconvenience the prison guard. He was much bigger than Loki, and much stronger. Loki was slower than he would have liked, disoriented in tue darkness, stomach inflamed with pain by the rough movements, and he had used all his daggers fighting earlier. 

He kicked, foot landing in the giant's stomach. The guard grabbed his leg and tossed him into the icy stone wall. Not good, Loki thought, dazed as he tried to pull himself to his feet.

You waited in the shadows, a numb calmness in your chest as you watched, growing horror manifesting. The giant picked Loki up by his throat, its red eyes full of hatred. 

Your body moved without your brain being required to give commands. Your legs gave a short burst of speed, and you jumped, flying onto the giant's back, one arm wrapping around it's neck, the other flying to your back pocket. The beast seemed to have forgotten about you. Apparently, that was an easy thing for these creatures to do. He reached around for you with one arm, not releasing Loki, who struggled in its grip. The giant's hand grabbed your leg, intent on yanking you off him.

You slammed the tiny knife into his windpipe.

The creature tried to scream, dropping its grip on both of you. You jumped off its back as it dropped to its knees, only wheezing sounds escaping it. Loki, who'd fallen flat on his backside, scrambled away as it fell forward and would have crushed him. You stood in exhilarated, horrified silence as the frost giant gasped and convulsed, then stilled.

Loki stared at you in shock. "Uh," he stuttered. "Thank you?"

 You turned to look at him. "What? You thought I was just going to let it strangle you?"

"Well, yes."

Suddenly indignant, you asked, "Why?"

"Your feelings toward me are not the fondest. Trust me, I would know. And, up until this point, you have proven yourself to be useless in combat." He rubbed his throat, getting to his feet.

"I may not like you, but I'm not getting myself stuck here over it! And for your information, I'm an FBI agent. It's not like I don't know how to fight."

"You certainly didn't have any trouble standing around like a scared mouse when I was getting myself speared."

"I fight humans! These things are like three times the size and weight of a grown man! And usually, I have a gun." You knelt, ripping the little knife out of the giant's throat and offering it to Loki, giving him a flat glare. "Sorry, I got a little blood on it."

Loki took it by the point, flipping it in the air and catching the hilt. "Whatever your earthly inhibitions, I appreciate you saving my life."

"Again. Saving your life again. Let's not forget the first time."

 Loki winked at you. "You never forget your first time."

"Give me back the knife. I want to stab you."

He chuckled, moving past you and the dead frost giant. He peered out of the cell, looking down the hallway wearily. "We're going to have to be more careful than last time. I would hate to be re-caught. We have proven ourselves to be more trouble than we are worth, so they'd certainly kill us."