Chapter 25

The silence was deafening after the horrendous noise of boulders crashing down and the ground quaking and the scream on the air.

You felt Loki grip your hand tighter where your blood mixed. The ancient door in front of you did not open, exactly. It cracked the tiniest bit inward, then the matter of the stone itself seemed to slowly become transparent, until it looked as if you could reach right through it, like a hologram. It trembled, then puffed to mist. 

The darkness within the room beyond was complete.

You stood frozen, gripped in the same horror that had immobilized Loki. Your hands were still tightly clasped, drops of your mixed blood still occasionally splashing into the dish. Slowly, you caught the eye of your soulmate. His expression was grim; all pretenses of his princely coolness evaporated. You could feel mirrored emotions resonating within your chest, communicating with you. You nodded, feeling equally grim.

Time to see what all the fuss is about.

Not letting go of one another, you moved into the darkness. 

It looked black as pitch when one stood outside of it, but once you stepped across the threshold, it was as if your eyes adjusted supernaturally fast. The walls of the prison were heavily coated in symbols. You could barely see the stone through the black etching. Though you imaged that when the warding was put up it was pristine; now it bled, like a heavy hand with spray paint. The ceiling was high. So high you could hardly see the end to it. But it had the look of not being originally carved that way. About ten feet up, the smooth surface of stone that had been covered with sigils gave way to jagged, blistering rock that went up and up and up. Like something had tried to claw its way out. 

You took all this with very little interest, for in the center of the room residing upon the floor, there was a far more eye-catching specimen. 

The girl looked up at you. 

She appeared no older than eighteen. Her young body was covered with nothing but the long silver hair that reached down halfway past her thighs. She had such delicate features that they might have been painted by a master artist and brought to life through the sheer force of their beauty. Her eyes were blue, like the clearest crystal lake, almost white with their intensity. Confusion swam within them.

You held very still beside Loki, who was staring with at her with an expression suited with the tongue-tying fear that had flooded him. "What do you see?" you asked, very, very quietly. 

His tone was even quieter when he replied. If you had not suspected the answer, you may not have been able to make out the murmur. "A shadow."

To Loki's eyes, the thing in the middle of the room was a convulsing cloud of blackness. It appeared incorporeal, yet fully capable of sucking some poor bastard into it. He could imagine no way to die that he would like less than being smothered in that condensed void. Every cell within him demanded that he get away from it. 

You stepped closer. You could feel Loki internally recoil, but every credit must be given to him for he stayed unflinchingly beside you. "Can you understand me?" you asked softly of the naked girl still on the floor.

A smiled curved the unnaturally well shaped lips. "Just as you can understand me," was the reply. Her voice was surprisingly reverberative. Like she spoke with a thousand overlapping voices. It resonated inside of you; in your head, body, and somewhere deeper. It was like the heartbeat of creation. It thudded powerfully through your being. Familiarly, even. Had you not been feeling it since your first vision on Jotunheim?

It had a peculiar effect on Loki, who gasped sharply, as if he'd been struck. 

"What is this place?" you asked carefully.