Chapter 6

You exited the dungeons into the fresh air of Asgard above. Your breath was quite short.

When you emerged at the top of the stairs, Thor turned from the conversation he had been partaking of with the four guards. All five of them looked at you with innate curiosity. Their questioning gazes seemed to ask, "What was the conclusion?"

You walked past them and mumbled, "Excuse me. I just need a minute."

When you were out of sight (concealed by a pleasantly leafy shrub), you let yourself lean against the palace wall and sink to the ground, pulling your knees to your chest. You were uncomfortably aware that Loki would surely be able to feel your dread and indecision. How can I do this? you thought, and not for the first time that day. Am I seriously going to order Loki be set free so he and I can go to a frozen pit of a planet in blind search of whatever the hell Fate wants us to look for? I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't do this. I can't--

A thought occurred to you.

 Perhaps it wouldn't have to be you and Loki alone to go to this Jotunheim. Whatever the Divine had planned obviously included you and the Asgardian criminal, but did it specifically exclude anyone else? You had seen or felt nothing to suggest so. 

You stood, dusting off your backside and jogging back toward the dungeon entrance. Thor, and the two guards that originally stood down inside, were not at the top of the stairs any longer. You hustled downward back into the dimness of the prison.

Thor stood in front of Loki's cell. He had climbed the steps, putting him level with his brother, and the two stood arguing about something. Now that you payed attention, Loki's emotions vibrated with annoyance. Amazing how faint the proximity made our emotional connection, you thought briefly. 

The two princes stopped talking when they caught sight of you. Before either could say anything, you beat them to it. "Thor, may we barrow Asgard's army?"

Loki furrowed his brow, looking at you with obvious confusion. 

Thor considered the question, wearing a similar expression to that of his adopted brother. "I would need to confer with Odin," he answered carefully. "What have you in mind, Lady Y/n?"

"Loki and I had these visions--we have agreed upon them being visions, as you know--and they have something to do with Jotunheim. Something bad to do with Jotunheim. I thought. . . Well, instead of tackling it alone, perhaps we could stop whatever it is with an army behind us. And then Loki could play his part while remaining under guard. It seemed like a good solution in my head."

Thor didn't know which part of your explanation to comment on first. On one hand, it seemed like a good plan of action. On the other hand, taking an army to Jotunheim would mean war with the Jotuns. But, on a third hand that belonged to a disembodied deity, getting you and Loki to the frozen realm was necessary, for whatever reason. Bringing a few good soldiers may also work, but it was impossible make a proper plan of attack when one did not know what one was attacking. "You haven't seen what the destruction is?" Thor asked helplessly, hands tied.

You tapped your foot against the stone floor. "As a matter of fact, I have yet to hear what Loki has seen. How many visions have you even had?"

Both you, Thor and the guards all turned eyes on the black haired prisoner. Loki smiled. It was not a friendly countenance. 

"I'm afraid it won't be of any use," he stated. 

"Or maybe it will," you snapped. Sleepless nights had shortened your temper, which was strained to breaking as it was. "How could you possibly think that visions--any visions--surrounding the situation could be useless? Are you just trying to be difficult?"