Chapter 2: Frozen Hearts in The Darkness

Ben

After Mikala freaked out from her strange transformation, I went to the car and opened it, grabbing the fox from the inside. I pick her up and took her to the train car and lay her on the floor. I wrap the parts that were injured in gauze. I finish wrapping the fox up in bandages and go sit back down. I breathe out a sigh, but for some reason, when I breathe out, I can see my breath.

It shouldn't be this cold out. We're in Texas and it's only early October. Nowhere near winter or anytime it should be this cold out. What's going on? I suddenly feel a little chilly and start shaking.

"Hey, Ollie. Toss one of the matches over here, would you. Stop setting things on fire, we'll need those later and we can't use them if they got used for burning plastic."

"No , you're not my dad."

"Fine then, I'll call Kayla and tell her you're burning plastic again." Ella pulls out her phone, preparing to dial Kayla's number.

"Okay! Fine, take the damn match!" Tossing the matchbox across the train car, Ollie sits down, defeated.

I take one of the matches and light it, throwing the match onto a pile of twigs Ollie had in placed nearby, presumably for burning when he ran out of plastic. I put my hands near the fire and warm them, it's getting colder by the minute.

"Ben, your hair! It's turning white, your shivering, and it's not that cold. Are you okay?" Ollie seems uncharacteristically concerned.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine" I say with a stutter from being so cold

"You obviously aren't. Your hair is turning white, the temperature around you is freezing cold, and your shivering. Which isn't all that surprising saying that you're in the freezing cold without a winter jacket." Ella stands up and walks across the train car. "Here. take this" and she hands me a jacket. I smile and say "Thanks" but it keeps getting colder by the minute. I try standing up but it's so cold that I can barely move.

"H-h-help me, it's getting colder" I say with a shiver.

"I'm coming. Hold on, okay?" I feel a blanket get draped around my shoulders, it helps but not by much. "Ollie, come here. Go find some wood and bring the matches with you. He's going to freeze if we don't do something!"

"Ella, there's not much we can do, the air is freezing around him, we get too close, we die."

"Do you think I care about that right now? He's our friend, and I'm not going to let him die!"

They grab some blankets and cover me and they light a fire, well, Ollie lit the fire. Ella just sat next to me, ignoring the fact that Ollie kept telling her to walk away or she would freeze.

"J-just leave me, run before you freeze."

Ella gets up and walks away and all I feel is cold. I can barely breathe and it's getting colder. Everything goes dark and I can't think and i feel my body die.

"Wait. No, no no. Don't die. Don't be dead. Ollie, he's dying!" I can hear her running over to me, and then checking my body for a pulse that I know she won't feel. I know I'm dead, but if I'm dead, then why can I still think?

-end chapter two-

Authors note: Sorry for such a short chapter, but we couldn't decide on whether or not to end the chapter here. we decided on ending it here. the next chapter will take place maybe three or so days later. Hope y'all liked the chapter, we tried.