Chapter Eight: Sage Tries To Kill Someone(Again)

Sage

So we added a child to the Runaways now. It was Ollie's idea, but alright. We need to find a place to stay.

"What if we went to Kayla's apartment?" I suggested.

"Why would we go to Mikala's house?" JD asks.

"No not Mikala, Kayla, she's our friend," Ben corrects him.

"Oh," He says and just kinda shrugs. I roll my eyes and kinda drift towards Ollie, our hands brushing against each other

"Oh, sorry," Ollie says and moves his hand away, putting his hand on the back of his head.

"It's fine, it wasn't on purpose," I say, just continuing walking.

We get a block from the house when I realize," Guys, Kenny's parents have a car"

"Oh yeah," Ollie says.

"I forgot my parents have a car, I was just excited to be with you guys," Kenny says, having switched from Ollie's shoulder to Ben's shoulders. Ben was skating on the ground with Kenny on his shoulders. He seemed to be enjoying being in the group, which I don't blame him, this group is the best kind of crazy.

We head back to his house and grab the car, Ollie having gone to grab the keys from inside the house.

"Do you think we should call Kayla and give her a heads up?" Ben asks as we shuffle into the car.

"Not a bad idea. I'll call her," I reply. The phone rings for a while before a slightly irritated voice comes from the other line.

"What did you do this time?" Kayla says, her voice gravely like she just woke up.

"How did you know!?"

"It's too early for you to be calling just to chat. First, is there a body and did you dispose of it properly? Second, are you sure you aren't being followed? Third, if this isn't a crisis why are you calling me so early in the morning!"

"I think you are being too calm about this"

"Probably. Just...tell me what happened."

"Okay...Ben's dead,"

"WHAT," she yells into the phone.

Ben grabs the phone from me and talks to Kayla, putting it on speaker

"It's fine, I got better...technically,"

"Oh thank goodness, I mean, that's still not good. How did you... you know what, I don't want to know if you made a pact with the devil or something crazy like that."

"Nope, that's what I did," Ollie says to the phone.

There is a heavy sigh from the other end of the phone. "Of course you did."

"Listen, Kayla. Has anything weird happened to you recently, like, say, did you suddenly get powers?" I ask her.

"...Yes," she replies after a few moments of silence.

"So what happened to you?" I ask.

"I-... well, I don't know how to explain it. Just come over. I'll show you guys when you get here. Then you guys have some explaining to do."

"We will, thanks Mom," I tell Kayla

She laughs and replies," Stay safe guys, see you when you get here" Click.

"Well, I guess we go to her house? It's not like we have much of a choice," I say. Everyone nods in agreement. It's this or get caught by the police. Kenny smiles and lays on Ollie's lap. He looks adorable, his sleeping form curled up using Ollie as a pillow.