Chapter 5 - A Trip Down Memory Lane

Thinking = 'hi!'

Writing = "hello!"

Normal talking = "hope you enjoy!"

Bara's POV age: 3

"Mommy, Daddy!" I cried out. "My hair is silver!"

"Huh?" My mommy said as she turned around. Gasping, she started firing questions at me. "Why is your hair like that? What happened? I have to call a doctor!"

At that time I was only three, so I was very confused. But not long after I told mommy, we were driving to the hospital. I remember hearing the doctor say that there was nothing wrong with me, I was perfectly healthy. My parents were very confused since they know that my normal hair color should be light blonde, not white.

Bara's POV age: 4

I have a little sister now! She had the same light blonde hair like the young me and had cute and innocent reddish-pink eyes. My parents named her Sakura, cherry blossoms.

At first, I was very excited to have a little sister, but soon all of my parent's attention was on Sakura. Everything that Sakura breaks, they would blame it on me. They started abusing me, punching me, hurting me. I felt depressed, but I didn't know that. I kept on telling myself that things would get better, eventually.

A few weeks before my birthday, my parents punched my left eye pretty hard, it was very bruised. A week before my birthday, they were disgusted with me. My left eye was silver and looked to be blind, but I could see just fine with it. They started yelling at me to put on an eyepatch.

I remember my mom yell, "Put on the eyepatch right now or I'll throw you out myself!"

Bara's POV age: 5

I'm five right now and a day before my sixth birthday, my parents finally paid attention to me, or so I thought. They took me to a park near the hospital, and we "played" there for a while. I thought that things were going to go back to normal, oh how wrong I was. After a while, they went to get "something" from our car. They told me to wait here, but I followed them to the car. I saw them drive away, leaving me alone in the park. I thought for sure that they were going to come back to get me, but night fell and there was still no sign of them.

Then a pretty lady with blonde hair and green eyes took me to the hospital, "To keep me safe," she said. But at the hospital, they took me to a white room with another girl around 13 years old. She introduced herself as Ruby. She was a former assassin and we bonded almost immediately. She was the one who taught me how to fight in case I ever did escape. Every day after the lab people run tests on us we would always stay strong for each other.

Bara's POV age: 12

Me and Ruby came up with a plan to save me today. When she didn't include herself, I thought that she was just gonna come along with me. We planned for weeks and got everything ready, but when the plan started I couldn't find Ruby anywhere.

The plan was for us to first mix invisibility mixtures with gasoline and drip it on the corners of the floor. And then on my birthday, I would set the pile of gasoline in our room on fire to start the fire. And in the chaos of the fire, I would escape.

So I decided to first set the place on fire before it was too late or else all our hard work would go to waste. So I set the place on fire, but I still couldn't find Ruby. When I looked into the washroom, I saw Ruby hanging there by a rope and knew that she had committed suicide. I was shocked and almost didn't want to leave that place. But I saw a piece of paper and a small chip that could fit into my locket to show a video.

The paper said, "Thank you, Bara. I'm sorry that I couldn't come with you, if I did then the lab people would find us, since I stayed here longer and they had installed a microchip into my arm to track me. I'm so sorry, please take the video chip with you. I'm not sure if you'll be able to play it but the song is Her Last Words by Courtney Parker, a song explaining my whole life and yours. The message in the song is also my message, find out and you might find me again. Thank you, for everything."

I took the chip and letter before glancing at Ruby one last time. With tears rolling down my face, I ran and ran and ran. As soon as I was outside and a fair distance away from the now burning hospital, I lost consciousness.

I remember waking up in an itchy and scratchy bed. When I walked downstairs I realized that I was in a church. When I asked where I am, the person that I talked to was suddenly was talking about killing something or someone. That's when I decided to not talk and pretend I'm mute.

The church was even worse than the lab, at least in the lab I had a friend. At the church, I had no one.

"Father" Seji would always beat me up for everything that other kids at the church do, and no one would believe me when I try to tell them what Seji does. They all respect him way too much to see his dark side.

I know that it was Yui that technically saved me from the outside world since she was the one that begged her father to take me in. But she didn't know that she was just dragging me down further into hell.

Years passed and I always kept to myself. I hid my emotions behind a well-crafted mask. At night, I would sometimes stay awake and listen to the song to find the hidden meaning, but I gave up on Ruby a long time ago when I read on the news that a recent hospital was burned down and they found 227 bodies out of 228. The one person who wasn't found was probably me, I can't believe that no one escaped. But after that, I knew that she was dead and there was nothing I could do to stop it.

Bara's POV

"And then here I am," I said, ending my story. "Stuck at the Sakamaki household just to watch over Yui."

"You still haven't told me why your earbuds are so important," Shu said patiently. "Can you tell me why."

"Because they were something I found in Ruby's bag," I whispered. "When she died, I looked through her bag in case there was something I missed while reading the letter. That's when I remembered that she had wanted for me to have her earbuds in case she died."

"Then why do you hate Yui?" Shu asked with curiosity. "It's fine if you don't want to answer, it's your secret after all."

"It's fine." I sighed. "This may seem childish, but I hate her not only because she is weak and pathetic and dragged me to hell but also because she looks so much like what Sakura might look at her age. They both have the same eyes and hair."

"Then why is your hair like that?"

"It's stained with the blood from that night," I said with no emotion. "Forever a bloodstained rose."

-----------------

Author's Note: How do you like the story so far? How's the plot? Is it too cliche? Should I change it? Do you understand why this story is called Blood Stained Roses now? Do you like how I tied the title and story together? Comment on any suggestions you have for the future.