~Chapter Three: The Choice~

Ladybug knew what she had to do. Before trying anything stupid, she'd go see master Fu, and hopefully he would know how fix this. She swung over pretty slowly due to her beating anxiety, and because she was just trying to take deep breaths of the fresh Paris air to relax herself. Even though she was moving slower than normal, it only took a few minutes to get to master Fu's place, he didn't live far from the Eiffel tower.

She stood just outside the door and reached her hand onto the nob. But before twisting it open, she thought about what master Fu might say, would he be mad? Would he take away her miraculous? Would he be able to fix it? Would he even know how to get her costume off? She quickly pulled her hand back as her chest pounded with these questions. But she remembered that she must persevere no matter the cost, that was the price of being a hero. So before she could stop herself, she pushed open the old man's door quickly and stood there staring at him, frozen.

"Ladybug!?" He quickly exclaimed, then grabbed her arm and forcefully pulled her inside, slamming the door and closing all the windows and curtains, he seemed to be a little mad, but not particularly angry. "What have I told you about coming here as ladybug!? That's way too risky! If someone saw you they could figure out who I am! Transform back now before-" he stopped speaking, because he Ladybug just standing there completely still, Looking at the ground, not saying a word.

Something was definitely up with her.

"Sorry for raising my voice" he quickly apologized, and waited a few moments to hear her response. Nothing. "There's something bad going on, isn't there?" He questioned, but he already knew the answer by the look on her face.

She just slowly nodded, and took a deep breath in, thinking about her words for a moment before saying them.

"Master Fu.............I cracked my miraculous." She heard him quietly gasp, but continued "I......I......I can't transform back, it's not working when I say spots off" she concluded. She looked onto his face expecting to see disappointment or maybe even anger, but instead he just looked worried, as if he had sympathy for Marinette.

"I-I'm so sorry, Ladybug"

'Oh no, he's apologizing, this can't be good, something bad is going to happen to me!' Thoughts like this raced through Marinette's brain and she fought back tears, and barely managed the courage to say, "am I......gonna be stuck like this forever?"

Master Fu could tell she was really upset. After all, she did have a big life outside of Ladybug, and an important role in the community as Marinette. So, he didn't give her a deliberate answer to this question, but worded it in a way that wouldn't be completely.........heartbreaking?

"Well, damaged miraculous' take a certain amount of time without use to become fully operational again." He calmly began to explain. "Judging by the size of the crack, once you detransform, it will take a little over a year for the miraculous to heal. Until then, you won't be able to transform again. The miraculous senses the damage and isn't detransforming you as a defense, because once you detransform-"

"I can't be Ladybug again for over a year" Marinette finished his sentence.

".....yes, unfortunately. If you took off the earrings now, your costume would come off, but the miraculous won't be able to function at all again until the crack has sealed itself."

"Well," Marinette began, she didn't know how she would live with this, but she knew she had no other choice. And even though she was breaking inside, she remembered how important it was to remain strong and act like a hero. "I can't take them off then." she said promptly. "If I do akumas will destroy Paris with no way to purify them or save people. Looks like I don't have a choice, I have to stay Ladybug until hawkmoth is defeated, then I can take off the miraculous to heal."

Master Fu was in awe of Marinette's response, he personally was expecting her to be very upset, but she seemed to be taking it well. But before he could reply, Marinette's yoyo buzzed, a text from Cat Noir read:

'CN- hey have you stopped by Marinette's house yet? Is she okay?'

Cat Noir was still planning to talk to Marinette as Adrien, to see if Marinette was truly in love with him. And that's why he was so worried about her. His plan was to go to her house as soon as he knew she was safely back there.

Ladybug nearly cried upon reading the text, she decided to tell Cat Noir that Marinette was fine, just so that he wouldn't worry. But master Fu saw, and knew that was a bad choice.

"Ladybug, if this is what you choose, then Marinette is not safely at her house, she is gone. At least until hawkmoth is defeated. You cannot tell him that Marinette is okay when no one may ever see or hear from her for a very long time." He knew his words may be harsh, but they were true, and Marinette- or rather, Ladybug-can't just say that so Cat Noir won't worry. Because then he'll worry alot more when he realizes Marinette is actually not safe at home.

And just to make sure, Master Fu added "and you know you could never tell Cat Noir who you are, there is too much risk."

Master Fu saw Marinette just looking down at her yoyo crestfallen. In all honesty, she was still really just comprehending the situation, and he just felt horrible. It was cruel to force a 15 year old girl to give up her entire life just like that, and Master Fu felt like a monster making Marinette go through all of this. But Marinette could tell he was just as upset and she was, and apologized to him herself.

"Master this isn't your fault. And I guess I'll just have to live with this, I'm a superhero, and everyone knows that super-" she sniffled trying desperately not to cry, as she accepted her new life. "Everyone knows that superheroes need to make sacrifices for the sake of the people. And that's all I'm doing."

She erased the message she planned to send Cat Noir, and replaced it with a message that read:

'LB-Marinette isn't at her house, or anywhere near, sorry Cat Noir'

And she sent it, deciding that this was how it was going to be, Marinette Dupain-Cheng.......is gone.

"I won't be able to stay here" Ladybug said to master Fu as she wiped away her last tears. "People could see and figure out you're the guardian" she said, and Master Fu just nodded at her reasoning. "But I can't stay at my house either, no one can find out its me. And I can't go to school, I guess I could pick up some books and try homeschooling myself....But, without the home part...."

"You'll figure it out Marinette," Master Fu said with a somewhat reassuring half-smile. "You always do."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'LB-Marinette isn't at house, or anywhere near, sorry Cat Noir'

Cat Noir was confused and very worried by the message he received, hoping and praying Marinette was okay. Usually Ladybug might say something reassuring like 'don't worry, we'll find her' or 'we won't give up til she's safely home.' But, she didn't, Ladybug didn't make any effort to give him hope that Marinette was okay. Also she, apologized? why would Ladybug apologize? It's not like it was her fault. And it's not like they know for a fact Marinette was lost, maybe she just went to Alya's house, no harm done. It was just kind of weird how she apologized like that. But then again, Cat Noir did make it pretty obvious how worried he was about Marinette, so it must just be that.

But none of that changed the fact that upon reading the text from the spotted heroine, Cat Noir closed the messaging on his baton and immediately went out searching for Marinette Dupain-Cheng. He was the one who left her on the Eiffel tower and promised to come back for her, and he was going to find her and bring her home, if it was the last thing he'd do.
____
Hey guys! You may have noticed I updated on Thursday instead of Sunday, so you guys are gonna get 2 parts this week! I gave y'all an early part because today is a special day. Exactly one year ago today, I watched miraculous Ladybug for the first time ever! I love you all so much and you mean the world to me, this miraculous show has brought me into a wonderful community that I appreciate so much. Even if only one person ever reads this, I want you to know that you are amazing and you give me hope and inspiration. Thank you💕

~Elise, your everyday Ladybug💗🐞

Side Note, Added 3/14/2020
Hey guys it's Elise again I was reading this back and I just want to say for clarification that this chapter came out before master fu left in the season 3 finale. Later in the book (between chapters 8 and 9) is when I say the finale took place in this timeline. So Master Fu is still here in this story but after chapter 8 he's gone :)