~Chapter Twenty-Two: The Visit~

Gabriel fingered the vanilla colored envelope that had his name spread in simple beautiful lettering on the front. He sat down on the hard bench in his cell. He was staying in the small cell at the police station in Paris, and would be moved to the formal prison outside the city after his upcoming trial. He was nervous to open the letter supposedly from Ladybug, worried of what her words may be. But considering his predicament, there wasn't anything better for him to do. So he slowly removed the red sticker with black dots, and lifted up the flap of the envelope.

Her handwriting was soft and delicate, as if the pen floated across the paper as she wrote.

Mr. Agreste,

I guess you're wondering why. Why I didn't do worse...why I didn't tell everyone.........why I lied.........

The answer is you truly aren't what I expected. I always expected Hawkmoth to be some cruel, power-thirsty man. Not the fashion designer I've idolized my whole life, the father of one of my best friends, and the husband to a suffering wife. Yes, I saw Emilie in your basement and I was moved with compassion. I wanted in that moment to let you make your wish and give up my miraculous....But I knew I couldn't....I knew no hero would ever make an innocent pay that price.

But I also couldn't bring myself to tell the truth about you and everything you've done. And I especially couldn't do that to Adrien. So when I came to the police office to tell them and turn you in, I couldn't say it....And so I lied. And I guess you probably realize by now that they arrested you for sale of illegal materials, which is not even something you did. But the jail time is a lot less than if I told them you were Hawkmoth, so I guess this is my way of hopefully helping you. But please, don't make me regret it. After your two short years I trust in you to come back a good man, and an even better father. Everyone can change.

-Ladybug

~ <3

Mr. Agreste was almost ashamed because his eyes filled up with tears at what she said in her note. Why should she, the hero of Paris, want to do something for him, the one who's been trying to destroy Paris for the last two years. He could clearly see why Marinette made such a wonderful Ladybug. Just as he began to comprehend her words and reread what she wrote, there has a knock.

Sabrina's father, who was in charge of keeping on eye on him until his trial, walked in. "There's someone here to see you." He said, and Gabriel got excited hoping it was Adrien, he wanted to thoroughly apologize and say some things to his son before he had to leave. The policeman continued, "Do you mind if I let her in?"

Gabriel nodded, slightly confused at what female would want to visit him during his last few days in Paris. She slowly stepped in, wearing a dark hoodie to hopefully go unrecognized by the officer. Once he left she flipped it down, her clear skin and flowing dark blue hair looked gorgeous against the small amount of light coming through the window. Gabriel was among the first to see the Marinette Dupain-Cheng in months since her disappearance. She had made her way discreetly through the Paris streets to go unnoticed by anyone, she thought it would be suspicious for Marinette to return the same morning Ladybug left, and didn't want herself being revealed, so she decided to wait a couple days before Marinette would 'officially' come back. And even though Hawkmoth was gone, she was still the guardian, and couldn't have anyone knowing who she was lest another threat come into the city at some point.

She made her way over to the bench in front of his cell and slowly sat down. She noticed that the letter she had given him was opened that he was still holding it. When he realized he still had it in his hand and saw her starring at it, he quickly set it down as to avoid an awkward situation. Marinette just smiled, "I didn't know if they were gonna let me see you after you were arrested, so I had them give you that letter just in case." She looked down at the box of macaroons she was holding, and lifted it up, squeezing it through the bars. "Here, I figured it might be a while before you get good food again, so I brought some macaroons" she said with a delicate smile.

"Why have you been nice to me?" he said quickly, barely acknowledging the macaroons. "I mean, I practically terrorized you and Cat Noir for years, you now have my identity and the chance to make me pay but you...don't.....why? And there here you are again giving me freshly baked goods, after I gave you what? A miserable life?"

She took a breath in as if she were trying to smell the fresh air, and leaned back on her palms. "Mr. Agreste, when two people are enemies they constantly want payback, one person feels they need revenge, and then the other needs revenge on that, and the cycle never ends. Someone has to decide to let it go, and not need vengeance. I believe in doing that, but I also believe in justice, hence why you're in jail, but not for too long. Plus, if I just decided to treat you horribly for what you've done, what's stopping you from wanting to come back and be evil again? I want to give you a chance to just let it go, no more grudges, no more revenge. There's no reason for me to let you off on a bad note and just have to worry about you coming back and returning to your old ways. Of course, that will always be a possibility no matter what I say or do...but I think you can change. I believe your intentions as Hawkmoth were....wrong.....but came from the right place. And I think you're capable of loving again, whether it be a new woman...or even just the family you already have......"

Gabriel looked down, he knew she was talking about Adrien, and was regretting so much how horribly he had treated his son over the past few years. But he remembered that one day Marinette came and returned his book, and admitted her feelings for his son, and had hope that she could make him happy.

"Marinette I-" he clearly his throat to avoid crying. "I know what you feel for Adrien, it truly resembles how I felt for my wife, so I know it's true. I never thought I'd want my son ending up with the greatest rival I've ever had.......but there's no better girl in Paris for him than Ladybug, Marinette Dupain-Cheng. Please Marinette, make him happy the way I never did, I know you've already done so much for me, but this is the last thing I ask. I want my son to be happy, and I believe you can bring that to him." He said to her with sincerity.

Marinette's entire face was a bright cherry red, her eyes were wide and her jaw was dropped. She was so embarrassed that he knew, but she could tell how much he wanted this. It couldn't happen though...She knew something Gabriel didn't, that his son was Cat Noir. And Marinette knew by now that Cat Noir was madly in love with Ladybug, not her. And since she couldn't reveal her identity, Adrien would never fall in love with her. But she didn't want to disappoint Mr. Agreste, so she nodded with tears in her eyes "I'll try my best," she said quietly with a fake smile.

She was going to say something else until she heard Mr. Raincomprix turn on the television in the other room, with the sound of a familiar voice.

"But I do care Ladybug, I care about you so much, and you've proved your loyalty time and time again, let me prove mine to you," they both heard from the tv, and Mr. Agreste nodded for her to get up and to go to the other room to see what was going on. She quickly put on her hoodie over her head and ran outside, to see her partner's face on the biggest billboard in the center of the city, talking about her.

"Ladybug....I don't know where you are...or if you'll even come....but with the help of the city I want to give you a proper thank for all you've done, and a proper apology for all I've done. Tomorrow as the sun sets in the city, let's throw a celebration at the Eiffel tower in honor of Paris' true fearless leader, who saved the city from our greatest foe. Put your miraculous on one last time Ladybug, so we can show our gratitude for you." She could see Cat Noir beaming on the screen as he spoke of her, but his smile only made her frown grow. "Ladybug....and everyone in Paris.....I understand if you want to hate me, and you can. Part of me hates me too for everything I did. But please.....give me this chance to make things right." He finished, and the billboard went black. Marinette's hidden eyes were on the verge of crying, knowing she was going to disappoint Cat Noir when 'Ladybug' doesn't show up. But it was the people that finally made her tears fall. All around her everyone was jumping, cheering, and whistling for her and all she'd done........But she wasn't even going to be able to say you're welcome.