~Chapter Six: The Lie~

He sat there. Restless. He still hasn't eaten the fresh croissants given to him by the Dupain-Chengs, so they weren't very fresh anymore. And if Cat Noir wouldn't even eat croissants, there was always definitely something wrong.

On top of the building he waited. Impatiently. He opened his baton, and the clock read 8:46, Ladybug would swing by for patrol soon. Great, that left more time for him to be anxious and by himself. He was so worried about her.

Marinette was very kind and always looking out for others, and that only made it worse. It made it worse because Cat Noir could only think about how he hadn't been looking out for her. Everything would be so different without Marinette, his whole life would change! Ever since Adrien went to school, Marinette was always there, sitting behind him. As he starting thinking about Marinette more, he found more and more signs leading to the fact that she had a crush on him. Come to think of it, Marinette always stuttered when he tried talking to her, and she made excuses to leave so they wouldn't be left alone with one another. In fact, he realized Marinette has accidentally called him "cute" or "hot" so many times.

There was really no doubt about it, and after hearing what she said with Lila, it was pretty obvious Marinette had a crush on him. He smiled realizing how stupid he had been to not find out earlier. Still, he could never know for sure unless he asked Marinette in person. And that made him upset again, he wouldn't be able to ask Marinette if she went missing for good.

Of course, Adrien didn't replicate her feelings, no, not with Ladybug having his heart. But Marinette was sweet and he knew it would be best to tell her he didn't feel the same as soon as possible, so she could give up on him and find someone else, someone else who could care for her and love her the way she deserves, like Luka.

He was definitely over thinking it now, he wished Ladybug would come already so he could have someone to talk too. Even though he couldn't reveal anything personal, like of course his friendship with Marinette, it would still be nice to just have Ladybugs help in searching. He checked the time again, 8:47. He was about to get upset because the clock seemed to be moving so slow, but Ladybug showed up early, and sat down next to him. By the look on her face, Cat Noir could tell he wasn't the only superhero upset tonight.

"Hey," she said quietly as she sat down next to Cat Noir. "Marinette is still missing, isn't she?"

"Yeah....." He said quietly.

And there was a silence.

But Cat Noir didn't want silence! He wanted someone to talk to! He was so stressed and so upset he couldn't just hide it!

"Ladybug." He stood up. "We need to find her. I don't even know where she is or if she's lost for good, but I have a horrible feeling she's not okay, and I'm not going to rest until she's safely back." He said with a tad of anger, but mostly determined in his voice.

Ladybug was honestly surprised and how seriously Cat Noir was taking this situation, she'd never seen him this stressed before. She stood up next to him. "I know Cat Noir, Marinette seems like an important citizen and we-"

"Seems!? Ladybug she IS an important citizen! She's an important person! This isn't the same and saving a regular akuma! This is a real girl who could be lost!" He practically yelled in her face not even realizing that Ladybug had tears in her eyes. But ashamed, he pretended he hasn't noticed her almost crying.

She took a deep breath in, did Cat Noir know her civilian self? Was Marinette friends with whoever Cat Noir was? I mean, he is after all a superhero, and superheroes do after all care and sorry about citizens, but no, this was different.

Ladybug knew it was a horrible idea, and disclosing personal information was too risky, but she has to ask him.

"Do you.....do you know her?" She asked quietly.