~Chapter Eight: The Regret~

And so the search began, all around Paris you could hear people of all kinds calling the name over and over, "Marinette." But never with any response. Police were driving through the city in their cars, people were looking left and right, even the Mayor, Mr. Bourgeois called for a city-wide search, but it was to no prevail. Word of Marinette's disappearance and spread everywhere, even people who had never heard of Marinette before were looking desperately. But Cat Noir had been looking around more desperately than anyone else, while waiting for his beloved Ladybug to show up and help them continue in the search.

Looking for Marinette was the last thing on Ladybug's mind during her sweet dream of being with Adrien on an island far away living with their hamster, the life she wished she could have. But that was interrupted as Ladybug was quickly awakened by a pounding on her door, and the calling of her name from the outside.

"Ladybug! Ladybug!" Screamed Chloe, and she knocked loudly.

The heroine immediately arose and flung the door open, then pulled the blonde girl in and shut the door before anyone could see or hear what was going on.

Ladybug was about to get mad at Chloe for doing something so foolish that could have blown her cover, but when she saw how upset Chloe looked, she decided to approach her with compassion instead.

"What's wrong?" She asked, "is there an akuma after you?"

She was quiet for a moment. 

"Well," the started " there's just this one girl at school and I don't even care about her at all or anything and she's dumb. But....everyone in the class is worried and-" she paused "actually I don't care about any of them but Adrien and Adrien is so worried and scared for her and we need your help."

Ladybug was so confused, somehow she had already forgotten her predicament and that SHE was the missing girl.

"What's her name?" She asked, not knowing how shocked she'd be by the response.

Chloe sighed before answering "Marinette. It's that one girl I was telling you about a little while ago. I want to say I hate her but she's kind. Even when I don't deserve it. One time she organized a whole party for me at the school. I just don't like to show that sometimes I want to be her friend."

Neither spoke a word. Chloe was hurt, but Ladybug was so touched by what she said.

"Either way," Chloe continued "Adrien is worried for her and Adrien means a lot to me, so please just help."

Ladybug nodded and swung immediately out the window to join the search, without another word.

Why did she spend the next 10 hours looking for someone whom she was aware wouldn't be found? Ladybug didn't know.

Maybe it was because she wanted the citizens to be happy that she was helping. Maybe it was because she was a hero and had to lie sometimes to keep her identity a secret. Maybe it was to give the people hope, even if it's false hope. Or maybe it was because people like Chloe deserve a hero who will help them in their weakest moments when they didn't even know they would be weak. And by searching for Marinette it helps them to be strong in those moments, knowing ladybug also cares, even though Ladybug knew all too well Marinette wouldn't be found.

It was beginning to get late with no sign of the lost girl, Cat Noir and many others were already overcome with grief and a sense of lost hope. Everyone, including the heroes, went in for the night. The mayor officially announced that tomorrow schools would continue to be out and the search would go on, but if Marinette Dupain-Cheng wasn't found by the end of the following day, school and work hours would continue regularly for all. People would have to move on and live life without Marinette.

The thought of this special girl being gone brought many of her classmates to tears. Alya, Nino, Rose, Max, Kim, Adrien, and everyone else (except of course Lila, who was relieved more than anything). But most importantly Chloe. Chloe never told Marinette that she is kind, and never thanked her for all she did. And worst of all, never had the courage to ask to be her friend. In her upset state she began to get angry.

Just the previous day, Chloe knew something was wrong with Ladybug, and that's when it clicked. It MUST be ladybugs fault. Ladybug is upset and somehow the next day Marinette goes missing? It couldn't be a coincidence. Chloe was so angry it was clouding her judgement, if she really thought about it then she'd know what she was saying was nonsense. But at the same time, she wasn't wrong.

She stormed into ladybugs room with the idea in her head that it was all the heroines fault, disoriented from her sweltering anger.

"Its because of you isn't it?!" she screamed "you come in upset and the next day Marinette is gone! What did you do?!"

Ladybug was flabbergasted at this assumption!

"How could you say such a thing?" She replied in a gentle voice, trying to keep from tears.

The blonde quickly came to her senses and realized there was no way it was because of Ladybug. But it was too late, Mr. Bourgeois heard along with Chloe's butler, and both were making their way up the steps to see what was the problem.

"Sorry Ladybug I didn't mean tha-"

"Chloe!" Called a voice not far away.

Ladybug couldn't have her secret jeopardized, and she could see Chloe might already beginning to catch on, she had no choice but to leave.

"You can never tell anyone I was here." Ladybug said, and with that she was gone, out the window, into the night.

Chloe called out and immediately regretted scolding the hero, but nonetheless Ladybug was gone. And when the girl's father came to see what was bothering her, she only broke out in tears. Tears of regret, regretting how little she talked to Marinette, regretting how mean her words always seemed to come out, regretting yelling at ladybug, and regretting the entire situation.

But regret wouldn't change a thing. Not anymore. Ladybug knew that better than them all.

~

Hey guys! It's pretty clear Chloe is going to end up having a somewhat predominate role later in the story based on how it's set up, I'm excited for how it's going to play out! If you love Chloe it's gonna be great and if you don't, that's okay too it's not like she's going to be super important. But you never know. I hope you're enjoying the story and I hope to be getting parts up more quickly in the near future! I love you all and I can't wait to keep sharing!

-Elise, your everyday Ladybug 💗🐞