Chapter 5: Nobles

After the duel, Gusion went straight back home. He was on his way when he noticed Harley running away and a sandal came flying, hitting him on the head.

"Don't you dare cause trouble again, you blonde brat!" Lesley yelled as she grabs Harley's clothes on the back. "Get back in there and do your homework. Have you forgotten that you just enrolled in Lion Academy?"

Gusion watched the two until they disappeared from sight. It might be fun to have a younger sibling whom you could look after, whom you could protect and whom you could share good and bad memories together, Gusion thought. His family has not been showy of their feelings for they are more into polishing their skills in magic rather than strengthen their family bond.

Gusion walked for another fifteen minutes before reaching the humongous gates of their mansion. The red and pink roses are in full bloom, making their garden more colorful than before. Their wide lawn has been newly trimmed, a perfect place for relaxation. As he opens the two large, wooden doors at the entrance, he saw his mother. She is wearing a red gown like the roses at their garden. Miss Paxley saw her son and her smile widened in happiness. She walked down the stairs and gave him a hug.

"My dearest son," she said as she caresses Gusion's hair but he swifts her hand away.

"I'm not in the mood, mom," he said as he turns away and walks upstairs towards his room.

"Your father has received an invitation from the Baroque household," his mother said which made him stop on his tracks. Gusion knew that something is going to happen and it is not to his liking at all.

"They invited us to go to their party," his mom added.

"Not interested," Gusion simply replied before leaving her mother alone.

Miss Paxley let out a heavy sigh before getting some wine. She looked upstairs as if he was seeing Gusion. She could actually feel the rebellious act of her son and she knew very well that their tradition is what keeps Gusion away from them. Ever since he was a child, he has been interested not just in magic but also in studying light elements. He did not just spend his childhood reading some books like a nerd but instead, he trained himself for physical combat which is against their tradition. But despite that, she secretly supports him. 

The doors suddenly flung open and Mister Paxley greeted his wife with a peck on the lips.

"You seem to be in a good mood?" Miss Paxley noticed.

"Who wouldn't feel good when the Baroque has invited us and they are also looking for a potential husband for their daughter who excels in magic," the husband replied.

Miss Paxley immediately realized what her husband meant. Gusion is already old enough to be committed. His brothers had already married and it is only him who is yet to be bound with someone.

"Then, convince your son to come with us," she said. "He just came home from King Estes' palace."

Mister Paxley sighed in disappointment. "When will he stop his absurd decisions? He is a mage so he must not involve himself to physical combat. You should have taught him that while he was young so he won't be this rebellious today."

"He has his own passion, we can't force him to do something he does not want to do," Miss Paxley replied but her husband insisted.

"But magic is what this household is about. We have been following our ancestors' traditions and it is for the better if we continue doing such rather than change into something strange," Mister Paxley defended.

"The more you insist something he should do, the more he will rebel against us. Convince him to attend the party and if you fail, do not hurt him. He is still your son," the wife said before leaving her husband alone.

Gusion is currently in his room, he just finished taking a bath. He put some cream on the wounds he got from Harley and he simply smirked upon remembering Harley's words.

"No one is as handsome as I."

Those words made him shook his head in amusement. He and Harley may not be really on good terms. Just then, what happened in the duel replayed in his mind. He had never been stopped before especially when he had thrown his daggers. He was a hundred percent sure that he enchanted his daggers with light elements so it would not be easy for someone to just stop it. He even got frustrated when realized that only one bullet has stopped his dagger from hitting Harley, he could have won if Lesley did not interfere. He also wondered how Lesley could shoot even when she is way too far from them. His train of thoughts was interrupted when he heard a knock.

He opened the door and saw his father. He immediately got the gist of the reason why he is here. He is to convince him to attend the party. He would not want to argue with his father for he has drained his energy from their mission.

"I will surely attend that party. Don't disturb me," he said before closing the doors right in front of his father. That was rude, he clearly knows but he has never been in good terms with his father ever since he started his training on physical combat. He could not care less anymore, he is resolute on his decision on engaging himself not only with magic but with combat as well. He hates limiting himself just because of their family traditions.

His door suddenly flung open and their eldest brother came in without asking for his permission.

"What now?" Gusion asked which earned him a whack on the head.

"Don't talk to me like that," his brother said. "Just because you could stab with those daggers, you lose respect to your elder brother."

"Why would I even stab you?" Gusion responded. " I do not want my daggers to be tainted by you."

His brother looked at him sharply but ignored his insult. He simply sat down on his bed.

"A party from the Baroque family, huh," he said. "I am thinking of arrange marriage."

"Why would you think of that?" Gusion asked. "All of you are not married due to that so why would I be on an arranged marriage?"

"You're a different case, you rebellious brat," his brother replied which makes sense. "We studied and learned magic just like what grandfather wanted. Until you came, you rebelled at a very early age. And I think they are finding a way to keep you from going on a different path. And arranged marriage is a good way to suppress you."

Gusion shook his head with a smirk plastered on his face which makes his brother wonder what he is thinking of.

"They better give their best shot to cage me," he said as he raise his hand and all his daggers float right above him in circle. His brother smiled for his competitive spirit. He stood up and patted Gusion's shoulder.

"Best of luck," he said before leaving him alone. "But give the arranged marriage a chance, it might work for you. Who knows? You might not be able to get married after that."

"I could get any woman I want with this face of mine," Gusion proudly said which made his brother chuckle.