Chapter 7 : Assassin's Dilemma

The cloudless sky makes the moon the center of attraction that night. Gusion wore his white polo and black coat. He paired it with black slacks and a red necktie. He got his temporary dye wax and brushed it on his brown hair, turning it into purple. Since he is not comfortable leaving the house without his daggers, he enchanted them and turned them into stems of red roses. He made it into a bouquet of roses so his parents would not be so suspicious of it. Upon leaving his room, he saw his parents and brothers waiting for him.

"Nice outfit, bro," his eldest brother commented as they fist bumped. Gusion turned to his mother and gave her the bouquet of red roses, or should we say a bouquet of daggers?

"Oh, dear. You've got a soft heart afterall," his mom said as she gives him a hug. The Paxley family is now on their way to the mansion of the Baroque household.

"Don't forget to greet their daughter, Guinevere. You could identify her easily for she has an outstanding beauty," Mr. Paxley said to his son. Gusion simply nods in response for he is not interested at the very least.

The once peaceful night became a noisy one upin reaching the Baroque mansion. The Paxley family got down from their carriages and was greeted by the head of the Baroque family. The two heads of the magic households greeted each other with delight for they have the same thing in mind; the marriage of their children. They all entered the mansion and the grand and luxurious party greeted them all.

The chandeliers have made the view magnificent. The fountain of champagne stood at the center of the ballroom. The delicious dishes are all displayed at the side corners with the chefs on standby, waiting for orders. The waiters are all busy going here and there, serving the guests. Mrs. Paxley saw her friends so she bid her sons a quick bye to join them. Gusion's brothers went on their separate ways but when Gusion is about to leave his father's side, he got grabbed by his ear like a child.

"Don't go anywhere. You are to meet Mr. Baroque's lovely daughter," his father said without showing any room for rejection. Gusion was left with no other choice but to follow his father's demands. Just a meeting won't hurt since he had already met and interacted with Guinevere.

"No worries, Gusion. I'm sure you'll like her in no time. She'll be here soon," Mr. Baroque said while looking upstairs where he expects his daughter to come from. After a few moments, a lady wearing a sky blue dress came down the isle. Her curly hair is just the same when Gusion first met her at the palace. Her dress was also the same on the one she wore before but it only differ in color.

Guinevere immediately spotted her father and her gaze was stuck at the guy with the purple hair color. They greeted each other which was unnecessary for Gusion since he already knew her.

"Oh!" Guinevere said in awe upon realizing that the good-looking man she had been drooling for is the same man whom she met at the palace. "No wonder you look familiar, though you look much better with that hairstyle and color."

"You two knew each other?" Mr. Paxley asked.

"Yes," Guinevere happily replied. "We were teamed up when Alice and Vexana were causing a rampage the other day. We fought side by side and it was amazing."

"That's great, then," Mr. Baroque said in delight. "You two could pair up for the competition!"

"We might as well give them some time alone," Mr. Paxley said as he drags Mr. Baroque away from the two.

"Do you actually agree with this kind of setup?" Gusion asked before taking a sip from glass of champagne.

"What do you mean?" Guinevere asked. "Is it about the arrange marriage?"

Gusion nods in response.

"I don't like it as well as you do. But what can I do? I'm just a daughter whose role is to be married off to expand the family's magic traditions. That is my role and if I reject it, I may be disowned by my family."

Gusion clicked his tongue in annoyance. He does not like everything that she had said to him that very moment.

"Is that how you were raised by this prestigious family?" he asked which offended the lady in blue.

"Don't speak as if you understand the whole situation," Guinevere defended.

"I'm against it. I have my own decisions to make and I don't mind being disowned for it doesn't matter at all. If you want to live like a puppet for the rest of your life, then that is your choice."

After saying such, Gusion gulped all the champagne left on his glass and left her. He opened the glass doors and the garden greeted him. He saw a fountain at the middle and beside it was a gazebo. With the moon shining brightly that night, he has no problem for he could see clearly. He stopped on his tracks when he saw a shadow sitting down on the gazebo. He could see the familiar long, braided hair of the lady. Lesley.

"Why are you out here?" he asked as he sits across the lady.

"Fresh air," Lesley simply replied. Gusion stared at her and admired how her knee-high, strapless, black dress trimmed with gold fits her perfectly shaped body. She is also wearing a black and red choker that has a heart on it.

"Are you here for an arranged marriage?" Gusion asked after a while.

"Of course not," Lesley replied as if it was the most obvious thing. "I'm not from a prestigious family like you so such annoying arrangements is not something to worry about."

"So the Vance household is not of prestige?" Gusion asked.

"I got adopted by the Vance household," Lesley replied without looking at him directly in the eye while holding her rifle which looked like an ordinary, black umbrella.

A long silence covered the two. Only the sound of nature could be heard. The two got on their positions when they noticed the dark becoming even darker despite the presence of the moon. Lesley held her rifle, did a back flip when she felt something crawling down on the ground, and she shifted from one position to another while she tries to locate where the crawling creature is.

'Did she just do a back flip?' Gusion asked in his mind. "Did her dress--," he shook his head to get rid of the dirty thoughts he is having. He also noticed the crawling creature so he summoned his daggers which was under the possession of his mother. Everyone panicked when the daggers broke the glass as they make their way to Gusion. Guinevere immediately headed to the garden and saw Gusion and Lesley gurading each other's back.

The creature has sharp teeth and reeks of the smell of death. It is even wearing a sharp weapon on both hands and it attacked Lesley which caused her a small cut.

"He's taking advantage of the dark to attack," Gusion said. Lesley focused and was able to shot the creature. The night grew even darker which caused even more panic to the guests. Mr. Baroque immediately commands his troops to bring the guests in their respective rooms for safety.

Helcurt, who was shot by Lesley, got mad and made another attempt to attack but Gusion threw six daggers, pinning him down on the ground. He was about to deliver the last blow but another stranger came up. She is glowing like that of a bright moon, no, more like of the shining stars. Her eyes and hair are glowing sky blue. Her armour is dark blue trimmed with gold. Selena's gaze settled on the creature pinned down on the ground.

"Helcurt!" she exclaimed happily as she took off the daggers limiting his movement. "My cute pet!"

Selena faced the crowd and said, "I apologize for the commotion Helcurt had caused." Her eyes stared at Gusion. "It's a good thing you haven't hurt my pet seriously, Mr. Handsome. If you did, I could have stunned you and brought you to my lair."

When the two left, Gusion got his hanky and tied it at the wound Lesley got from Helcurt.

"Thank you," Lesley said. She turned her back and was about to walk towards the mansion but she suddenly was lifted on midair. Gusion had carried her like a bride. Her face flushed red and she was thankful it was dark so he could not see her face.

A nurse came and tended to her wound while the others gathered around.

"Who is she?" Guinevere asked.

"Selena," Granger replied. He was invited by Alucard so he attended the said party. "She is also known as one of the Gemini twins. Her stunning ability is the best in both lands."

While the discussion was ongoing, Lesley could not help herself but steal glances on Gusion who looks serious seating across her. Gusion caught her staring and raised an eyebrow but Lesley rolled her eyes to make it look like she is not interested in him.