Chapter 8: I Choose You

Mr. Baroque woke up early that day to bid his guests an apology for the bad night they had the other night. He had given them parting gifts as to show his sincerity in being sorry for what had happened. After the hard work, he went to the library and found his son and daughter playing chess together.

"Lancelot," he called out which made the blond guy look at his direction. "What brought you here? Aren't you on duty at the palace of Princess Odette?"

"It's my day off," Lancelot replied. "The next days shall be a busy one due to the change of plans about the competition."

"Change?" Guinevere asked. Her brother nodded in response.

"King Minsitthar told me that the warriors from the Land of Dusk will be participating so they are revising the rules," Mr. Baroque replied.

"Exactly," Lancelot agreed. "Checkmate."

Guinevere looked at her brother sharply for she had never won a match of chess against him.

"But why did they allow the participation of the warriors from the Land of Dusk?" Guinevere asked.

"It was suggested by King Argus," replied Lancelot. "It won't be a bad idea since this will be the very first event that the two lands both participate in. It would lessen the rate of war against them."

"But that also mean that my winrate would drop," Guinevere added which made her brother smile.

"Are you implying that you're weak?" he asked.

"Of course not!" Guinevere exclaimed. "I'd make sure that me and my partner would be labeled as the Perfect Pair just like you and Princess Odette."

Lancelot smiled upon hearing it. He recalled the time he and the swan princess are paired up for the competition. It felt like it was just yesterday.

"I have a pair in mind that might be labeled as that. Though I won't say anything about it until I am sure of it," Lancelot said.

"Gusion is your partner, right?" Mr. Baroque asked his daughter which made her blush. Lancelot looked at his father in shock.

" Gusion Paxley?" he asked to confirm of it is really him.

"Yes," his father replied. "They had a talk yesterday at the party."

"But we haven't discussed it yet though," Guinevere said. "But back then, when I asked if we could pair up, he rejected my offer."

"I bet he changed his mind," Mr. Baroque said and Guinevere wished that he really had a change of mind.

On the other hand, the royal messengers are already spreading the news of change about the Conquest of Dawn. Angela is distributing the pamphlets while Diggie is announcing the news at the town plaza.

Harith, Nana and Harley are together while listening at the announcement. Harley listended intently as to not miss any detail for he had to tell her sister who is currently on a hunt that day.

"Did your sister already find a pair?" Nana asked. Harley shook his head.

"She haven't said anything yet but I'm sure she's finding one," he replied while looking at the pamphlet Angela gave him. Gusion, who is just behind them, happened to overhear their conversation.

"Where is she anyway?" Harith asked.

"She's on a hunt today. I guess she'll be able to find a partner this day. I just feel like she'll meet someone there," Harley replied.

Gusion, who had already decided on his partner, rushed to the north mountain which is known to be the hunting area of the Land of Dawn. The north mountain is also the perfect place for a long ranged assassin like her to train on. He has to find her as fast as possible before she decide on who her partner will be.