𝐈𝐗. 𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐅𝐒𝐁𝐀𝐍𝐄 𝐕𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐖𝐎𝐋𝐕𝐄𝐒

Introduction

Wolf's bane is a perennial Alpine woodland wildflower and a member of the deadly aconite family

Wolf's bane is a perennial Alpine woodland wildflower and a member of the deadly aconite family. It grows to about 3 feet tall, spreads out in clumps and produces lovely spikes of ivory, green or bright yellow pitcher-shaped flowers from spring to midsummer. The colourful green leaves are palmately shaped and profoundly lobed and toothed.

A member of the aconite family, wolfsbane is highly toxic.

History

Wolfsbane gets its name because the plant was once used to kill wolves. It has been reported that wolfsbane was used to poison arrows when hunting wolves by the ancient Greeks, which was also used to poison meat left out by farmers.

Uses

Wolfsbane has been used historically to treat lycanthropy (werewolf-ism) and as an antidote to other poisons. It is highly toxic and should not be used for healing by lay herbalists.

In many fictional tales, wolfsbane is used as a werewolf repellent, protecting people from the big bad wolf. It can even make a werewolf run away or die just by the were smelling it or eating it. The result is fatal when mixed with bait and devoured by a wolf, or even put on arrowheads, knives, swords, etc., and then fired or stabbed into the animal's body.

Toxicity

Wolfsbane is a baneful herb, and ingesting even a tiny amount can kill a human. It can be absorbed through the skin, causing numbness, tingling and dermatitis.

Some symptoms of wolfsbane poisoning include vomiting, sweating, frothing at the mouth, confusion, dizziness, numbness and tingling about the face, mouth and limbs, and a burning sensation in the abdomen. Symptoms appear within an hour of exposure, and death follows within 6 hours.

Because of the deadly effect on humans, this plant was believed to be excellent in destroying or, at least, hindering werewolves.

References:

Destruction: Wolfsbane | Werewolves. https://www.werewolves.com/destruction-wolfsbane/

Wolfsbane - The Witchipedia. https://witchipedia.com/book-of-shadows/herblore/wolfsbane/

Wolfsbane: For Werewolves and Vampires. https://www.vampires.com/wolfsbane-for-werewolves-and-vampires/