𝐗𝐈𝐕. 𝐌𝐀𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐔𝐀𝐋

Introduction

Traditionally, sexual intercourse is done to bring young ones into the world, and only the alpha male and female have the children in the pack. But, in the world of humans, that is difficult to do, so sexual intercourse, like human nature, is both recreational and for creating offspring.

When a male werewolf finds a potential mate, his body releases a purring mechanism from his voice that has the power to encourage, or seduce, the mate in question to want to be closer to the male. The mate in question has to be close to the male, emotionally and physically, to work. However, a female werewolf's body prepares itself at a certain age to attract male wolves. Her hair grows longer, she gets taller, and her bust gets bigger; this is known as The Mating Age.

Like regular wolves, werewolves have cycles of heat. They have a strong desire to mate; this usually happens only with the females, but with most werewolves, the men have heat cycles too, which occur once a year, usually in the wintertime. This heat cycle lasts typically five to ten days.

Time Period

Mating rituals are performed five days before the full moon or during the day of the full moon (the full moon is only when both partners are werewolves)

Mating rituals are performed five days before the full moon or during the day of the full moon (the full moon is only when both partners are werewolves). This period lies in the werewolf's inner wolf; the full moon is when the inner wolf is closest to the forefront of a werewolf's mind. It is the only period where a mate is fully recognised due to the inner wolf's involvement in the act.

Location

This ritual is typically held in a place where the moon is visible. Most werewolves also prefer natural settings due to their connection with nature and the moon. Note that actual locations are to be determined by the werewolf pair (or the werewolf and their non-werewolf partner) to avoid complications of interest and security.

Length

The ritual typically lasts for several hours (seven is said to be the longest), but the actual length depends on how close the ritual is to the full moon. The closer it is to the full moon, the longer the ritual, due to the increased stamina the werewolves possess in the days upcoming to the full moon.

The Invitation

Before the mating ritual can begin, an 'invitation' must be made by a werewolf partner. This initial invitation comes in the form of a nip on the area around the neck. The invited partner accepts this invitation by nipping, licking, or kissing the area around the throat of the inviter.

Courtship

While it is not necessarily a courtship, this term refers to the acts done before the full moon. These acts are minor and follow the initial mating invitation.

1. Yearning to be physically close to mate

In the upcoming days before the full moon, werewolves will typically feel an increase in desire to be close to their mate. Insistent touching, kissing, and other acts of affection are expected. It is recommended that partners discuss how comfortable they are with being followed or clung to establish a compromise.

2. Protectiveness/possessiveness towards partner

Werewolves are naturally protective of those they care about, and many have a habit of being somewhat possessive. These tendencies are believed to increase before mating.

3. Nipping

Nipping is a widespread occurrence in the days preluding the werewolf mating. It continues the same pattern as the initial mating invitation, but with one sole difference: a non-werewolf partner is welcomed to return the gesture. In short, they are embraced to do the initial nipping.

During the Ritual

1. Biting

Biting upholds two significant meanings. Furthermore, it is said that these bites are rarely painful. In addition, non-werewolf partners are encouraged but not required to return the gesture.

The first meaning is to demonstrate the equality between mating pairs. Wild wolves live in a hierarchy with the alpha wolf at the top (which will be further discussed in later chapters). Therefore, mating pairs need to regard each other as equal.

The second sign is marking a mate as one's own.

2. Insistent Licking

Whether it is an act of affection or merely an obsession is debatable, but werewolves tend to want to lick their mates during the mating ritual insistently.

2. Mating/Sex

This can be done either in human or wolf form.

After the Ritual

1. 'Cleaning' (via tongue)

It is common for werewolves to 'clean' their mates after mating. This habit is usually made immediately after mating and on the following day.

2. Bonding Time

Mated pairs usually spend most of the day together simply being together.

References:

Werewolves 101 by sugarpoultry-archive on DeviantArt. https://www.deviantart.com/sugarpoultry-archive/art/Werewolves-101-589989928

Werewolf | Shadow Falls Wiki | Fandom. https://shadowfalls.fandom.com/wiki/Werewolf

Werewolf Mating Notes: unknownzero — LiveJournal. https://unknownzero.livejournal.com/3674.html