Far, Far Away

Hello! This isn't quite a fully-fledged one shot nor is it a distinctive drabble. Whatever it is, I hope you like it ☺️

3rd POV

Newt Scamander sat behind the table that had been set up over two hours ago. Flourish and Blotts was full to the brim with witches and wizards of all ages, something that Newt couldn't have imagined. Never before had a book approached the subject of magical creatures like Newt's debut work. In fact, The Daily Prophet praised him for the easy-going manner in which he shared his knowledge with the rest of the wizarding community. All this acclaim surprised Newt, who had hoped people were interested in his work while also being aware that not everyone viewed these creaures the same way he did. Regardless, Newt's book release was keeping him very busy.

He had expected the line to thin out some time ago, but people continued to stream in with every passing minute. Worn from the day's activities, Newt struggled to keep a genuine smile on his face as he signed copy after copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. Low rumbles deep within his stomach reminded him that he had forgotten to eat lunch. Meanwhile his thoughts led him on a tempting path of distractions in the form of daydreams.

Tina Goldstein, the American Auror he met a mere three months ago. She was the one who featured front and center in his daydreams, her soft and gentle presence comforting despite being imaginary. In everyday moments (like the ongoing book signing), Newt imagined Tina striding on the scene. The atmosphere would be lighter, safer with her around. Newt couldn't help but feel euphoric just thinking about Tina. What would it be like for her to show up at a book signing?

Of course, she wouldn't need to if the Ministry would just allow him to go back to America. It wasn't like he would let his creatures loose intentionally, although the Ministry had no way of knowing that. Still, they had to understand that what had happened in New York was an accident. A big and messy accident, but an accident nonetheless. Couldn't they see that he meant no harm? Or did they know and simply not care? Either way, Newt felt frustrated at the lack of cooperation in his attempts to give Tina her own personal copy of the best-selling book.

With reality knocking at the back door of his mind, Newt returned to find a line of people staring up at him devotedly, his book in their hands. He sighed, wishing Tina were there beside him. She would give him energy to face the crowds of fans with the right mindset. After all, this was an opportunity not only to connect with his readers, but to remind them of the book's importance as well. Newt's hope was to help people understand these creatures so they would be treated with the respect they deserved. Little else mattered.

The line began to dwindle slowly but surely, allowing Newt to breathe easier. All those people had started to make him feel claustrophobic after a while, though there wasn't much he could do about it. It was part of the job, a job he was almost finished with for the night. Despite the shorter line of those seeking his autograph, Newt continued to find himself thinking about Tina. Her name alone filled him with longing and missed opportunities.

It didn't help that the book he was currently signing had earned its name thanks to the American witch Newt so desperately adored. His heart ached every time he thought of her. What he wouldn't give to visit New York once more; he had to let Tina know how much she meant to him and give her Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in person. Signing copy after copy of his book merely reminded Newt of this sad truth, which is why he did his best to focus on something else, anything else. What about the girl he had met a couple days ago? He couldn't recall her name, but she had been there at the launch party for his book. So had Leta.

Leta Lestrange. She and Newt went way back. Back to the days of hiding within thick castle walls and feeling alone—or misunderstood, at the very least. Newt had heard stories about Leta, but they were nothing more than rumours to him. After all, she seemed sweet, perhaps a little lonely. Just because she was sorted into Slytherin didn't make her a bad person. Newt knew better than anyone else that family ties didn't always equate with individual interests or behavior. He and his brother Theseus had little in common, yet they were connected by blood.

In the end, Theseus and Leta were the ones destined to be together. Their eyes confirmed it by the long looks each of them gave the other, looks of shared understanding as well as passion. Newt looked at Tina that way right before he said goodbye to her on the docks. He had been exceptionally bold in the moment, something that could not be said of his current self. With even less energy than before, Newt continued to sign books. If only Tina were here in Flourish and Blotts and not thousands of miles away. She was so very far away, but Newt was determined to speak with her once more. He had to, before it was too late.