Breathless

Hello! Enjoy yet another Newtina drabble while we wait for the latest installment in the Fantastic Beasts series ☺️

Newt's POV

"This is Leta Lestrange," I heard myself tell the woman at the reception desk. The words sounded strange, almost foreign when I hadn't spoken them in so long. Leta's name reminded me too much of the past, and that was something I had no interest in at the moment. Or at all, for that matter. Sure, there had been a handful of childhood memories I considered to be wonderful. There was also an even larger amount, however, that weren't exactly joyful. Instead, they reminded me of why I felt so lonely from time to time and how I was different in ways that were threatening to others. What was so wrong with being different, anyway?

I forced myself to focus on the task at hand. We needed to find the box that would end the rumours of Credence's identity once and for all. With determination and—quite candidly—a little bit of hesitation, I returned to reality. As soon as Leta's name had escaped my lips, Tina's head had turned in my direction. I could feel her staring at me so intensely that the breath in my throat stood still. I did my best not to look at her. After all, we were trying not to arouse suspicion. Eventually I met Tina's gaze, the shimmer in her eyes flickering like a flame dancing under a starry night sky. She was more beautiful than I had ever seen her, even under pressure. Especially under pressure, I thought to myself. Her smile caused me to lose track of the silent seconds that had passed, and I continued on with a wavering voice.

"And uh... I'm her..." I stuttered, painfully aware of how unconvincing I sounded. Thankfully Tina came to my rescue, although the simple word that came out of her mouth caught me by surprise despite the plan that was currently in motion. "Fiancé," she had said. I could hardly believe my ears. For a moment I forgot we were posing as my brother and Leta. For a solitary moment, all I knew was that Tina had uttered the word "fiancé" as a reference to me. My mind snatched the idea and ran away with it, or at least it tried to. I did my best to come off as unsuspecting, although I wasn't sure how much good that would do if I had already blown our cover. I guess we would have to wait and see.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tina's POV

I hoped I hadn't blown our cover. Newt wasn't exactly doing a great job of selling his role as Leta's fiancé. Why was it so difficult for him? They were actually engaged, after all. Right? I tried to manage a convincing smile despite the inner turmoil I felt within my bones. Newt hadn't noticed the way I whispered the word "fiancé", had he? Or how about the way I cleared my throat afterwards to keep that awful feeling from escaping? I was doing my best to keep my composure, but the floodgates seemed ready to burst at any moment. After being burdened by a plethora of issues for the past several months, I couldn't hold things in much longer.

Newt stood still beside me. No doubt we were both beginning to arouse suspicion from the receptionist. Instead of finding us guilty of fraud, however, she opened the doors to the records room. Newt and I thanked her—him in English, myself in French. We entered the room, darkness enveloping us in no time at all. I lit my wand once the doors had drifted shut behind us, a prolonged, irritated breath escaping my mouth. My jaw was rigid as I tried to process the emotions running wild inside my mind. I needed to let out a sob just for a moment—it would be so cathartic. But I couldn't. There were much more pressing matters at hand than my feelings. Credence's life depended on the information inside this box Newt insisted on investigating, and I was determined to do whatever would keep Credence safe. I only hoped we weren't too late.