Brad Paisley- When we were young

The sound of the subway echoed through the tunnels. My mother told be this would be a good place to be heard. "Get your voice out there. Brad didn't just wake up one day with millions of fans. You have to start somewhere!"  That's true but a Damn subway really mom.

    The platform is full of people, Tall short, Homeless to corporate type. I set my stole down next to a support beam. My back against it, its harder to rob someone from the front.

   Hesitantly I open the case to my  Ukulele. My most prised possession, Brad gave it to me after he signed to Aristia Nashville Records. I haven't seen him since then.

   I moved to Glen Dale West Virginia in 1980. My father got a new job as a corporate banker and moved us across the country. I hated him for it, but little did I know at the time it allowed me to meet my best friend. Brad and I lived a few houses down. He was my best friend from day one.

   His parents invited us over for dinner, and the whole time he talked about his dreams of becoming a rock star. He wouldn't stop talking about how he wanted to be just like johnny cash. Years went by and he never gave up his dream. Because of him I fell inlove with country music.

    Our teenage years were spent writing songs about love. And talking about our dreams of music. He took it farther, performing in bars, and opening for local artists. At the time I was to afraid to sing outside of the car. In the summer of 1999 he went to Nashville and got signed onto a record label. Brad had finally made it, his dream became a reality. Its been 9 years since I have seen him.

    So today I will be singing his song "This is country music" this was the last song we wrote together, and my all time favorite. My hands began to shake as I played the first cord. His voice came into mind, and I imagined he has sitting next to me playing along.

   "One, two, three, well were not supposed to say the word cancer in a song." I allowed myself to get lost in the song. A small crowed began to form around me. I am actually singing in front of people, and they actually like it.

"Morgan is that you?! Morgan hey!" A voice pulled me from the  chorus. I looked up to see Brad standing in front of me. Both our faces showing shock, and excitement.

"Omg Brad! Wh... Omg!" I could barley get my words out as I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Morgan it has been so long, I miss you, What are you doing these days?"

"Oh you know just singing."

"I can see you lost your stage fright." He laughed. "It is so good to see you, its been a long time."

"Right it has been only 9 years, 6 days and 15 hours, but who's counting right?" We both laughed.

"Hey I have a show tonight at the plaza. You should totally come."

"I would absolutely love that! Get to see the bad boy Brad live. Who would ever pass this up."

"If your comfortable I'd love to do a song with you."

"Oh I don't know about that that's a lot of people."

"I promise you the rush is worth it. Hey I have to go but here's my number. Let me know what you decide to do. we'll definitely catch up after the show."

Just like that Brad was gone, lost in the crowd.