Someone New

I walked for what felt like hours. The clouded blue of the sky, fading into a warming orange as I paced my way around town, collecting my thoughts.

I had found my way back towards the beginnings of the forest, knowing it would still be some time before I made it home, I found a solemn peace in the chirping of birds and rustle of leaves as my feet trod over twigs and roots.

"Hey." A voice, soft yet deep immediately caught me by surprise as my hair stood on end. I looked around, and there leaning against a large tree was a man. A good head taller than I was, his skin was a gentle tanned colour. He looked strong and he had the darkest, brown, eyes about him, and they seem to look right through me in a manner that I wasn't completely comfortable with. He had short, black hair that spiked to a point at the fringe, and a smattering of dark hair sprouting sporadically around his chin and jaw.

I couldn't put my finger on it, but I felt uncomfortable, instinctively taking a step back. My foot found a twig which snapped like thunder distracting my attention for but a second, and when I looked back up he was gone.

I hadn't the time to register that my heart was pounding, almost blotting out any sound within my ears when I yelped at his voice again

"Most people usually say 'Hey' back." He smirked. I fell backwards with a grunt, landing on my back and immediately having the wind knocked out of me. It was dizzying. The fear pulsing through my body, caused his laughter to echo in a nauseating circle as I could just barely see the light peeking through the tree tops.

"Oh man" He laughed again "You should see your face!"

I scowled, but before I could correct myself once more I found myself hoisted to my feet. I reached for a tree to brace myself. Snapping my eyes upwards to face this stranger, I found him still stifling a chuckle.

"Hey, I'm sorry. Really. You just looked so lost in your own world, I couldn't help myself"

"Well... Glad I could be some help" I could feel my cheeks beginning to redden with embarrassment, I kept my face low to hide, brushing myself down.

"Listen. I'm sorry. Honest."

"I'm sure, but I've got to be going so... Bye" I made to leave, strengthening my stride, as I stepped forward. He blocked my path.

"Let me make it up to you. I promise, it'll be worth it. We're relatively new to the area. We moved in about half a week ago, and we're hosting a party. Like a house warming party. You know, to get to know the neighbours and shit like that. You should come. Bring whoever you like, it won't be a problem. Please?" In that moment, his eyes looked so innocent. Like the very idea of the word no, would cause his world to shatter.

"I'm not really a 'party' person" I replied bluntly. Half of me legitimately wanting to claim revenge on this absurdly stealthy young man, and the other half just wanting to get out of this surprisingly pushy meeting.

"Oh come on, please! You're breaking my heart here. There'll be alcohol? And food? I can't vouch for the music, but it won't all be old people I promise" He pleaded, his hands clasped together in a cartoonishly comic manner.

"Okay, okay... I'll think about it. Can you please just let me go? I'm just trying to get home here" I relented, I didn't mean it entirely. I just wanted to get out of this situation, although admittedly, I was a little curious. I was raised heavily with the ideology that knowledge is power, and it couldn't hurt to know more about these 'new neighbours' of ours.

"Alright! I'll take that as a yes, and a promise - -"

"Wait no--"

"I'm Aramis. We literally live twenty minutes down this road on the left. Do you live nearby? Maybe I could walk you, or at least some of the way?" He was pushy, but there was a certain tick about his over-energetic manner that a small sliver of me found endearing.

***

We walked, he did most of the talking, until he, rather reluctantly, parted to his house. I couldn't see it, but I did see the driveway, it bent around to the right behind heavy, automatic iron gates and a thicket of trees too thick to see through.

He was nice, for the most part. He seemed to have a never ending source of energy, that seemed exhausting for me, but allowed him to talk about anything and everything; and even though we walked and talked for almost half an hour, I can't say I knew much more about him than when I started. Other than he was fond of the colour blue. Sky blue on a summers day to be exact.

My feet crunched against the gravel of my own driveway, when I looked up at the sound of other footsteps coming my way.

It was the barrister from before. He held a blissful grin upon his soft lips, upturned into the dimples of his cheeks. He walked with a confident swagger, that was, until he saw me. To which he did his best to hide his smile, and avoid eye contact.

Something that caused a smirk of my own as he passed me by. I couldn't help but allow my gaze to follow behind him as his pace nervously picked up.

I didn't take two steps through the front door, when Victoria met me with a smile.

"Get dressed, we've got a party to go to" She commanded, my brow furrowed with confusion and she must of mistook it for disdain as she announced "Come on, you're not getting out of it. We never go out. Go on! There's no rest for the wicked" She cackled

"No I'm just curious how you knew?"

"Wait... How do you know?"

"It doesn't matter. When are we leaving? If you're dragging me along I should at least have time to get ready"

"You've got five minutes. It's already getting late because you decided to go for a walk."

I grumbled in response, stroppily heading for the stairway, as Vicky began to chase after me, causing me to hurry upwards.

I got my revenge by taking twenty minutes to get ready as opposed to the allowed five, even if I had to listen to Victoria complaining every step of the way; it was a small price to pay.

We slowed our car to a crawl as we met the driveway of this house. The wheels crunched along the gravel, we were flanked on either side by meticulously cut rose bushes. They stood like floral lollipops, pushed against dark brick walls which did little to hold back the encroaching wilderness of the forest, that had begun to spill over its sides with torrents of moss and vines.

A number of cars had already arrived, and the thump of music was the first to greet us. It held three floors, four if you counted the windowed attic, and a balcony where a number of guests had flocked to for drinks and conversation. I could feel their eyes watch over us as we stepped from the car and approached the door. Knocking heavily.

No answer.

"Oh look, nobody's home! Ha, ha- lets go" I keenly said, turning to leave before a strong hand gripped my arm.

"Nice try" Victoria mused, knocking harder.

The door opened, allowing the music to flood out, we were greeted with a familiar voice, a cheesy grin, and an overwhelming abundance of energy

"You made it!"