Fun-fair

I stepped out of my bathroom, shuddering a little as the cool air contrasted a bit too hastily from the warmth of the shower, and frowned at my phone that now lay on my bed.

I picked it up cautiously, as if it would spring to life suddenly and attack me in some manner, before looking at the bed side table.

"I could've sworn I- -" I was about to say out loud when a confident tapping came at my door, snapping me from my brief moment of confusion. "Just a minute! I've just got out the shower!" I called.

"Oh come on, I've seen you naked before! Literally like five days ago!" Victoria whined, and I rolled my eyes, pulling a shirt over my head and opening the door. "Hey!" She grinned.

"V, Hi" I responded, a little wary at what her grin might be hiding behind jaws that I'd often thought should have serrated teeth, instead of the normal human ones. She strode into my room, collapsing on to my bed like she normally does, with a big huff, before sitting up straight and staring at me expectantly. "Well...?"

"Well... What?" I questioned shrugging my shoulders as she rolled her eyes in response. The gentle chestnut, curls, of her hair caressed her shoulder teasingly framed in an aura of yellow from the light pouring from my window.

"The fair is tonight. Are you going to tell me about this supposed 'other' person, you're meeting up with? Dating? Bumping uglies but hopefully using protection with?" She asked, staring at me with those oddly persuasive eyes. If I wasn't so sure that she'd never break the vow to never use her charms on me, I'd swear I was being charmed right now. But no, for as much faith I have in her and her word, I do occasionally weave a counter-charm, just in case she's being sly in her cheeky and harmless way.

I debated silently with myself for a moment. I suppose it would be right of me to give her fair warning, considering how she had reacted when she first discovered there were Vampires nearby. Not to mention she is my nearest and dearest friend. It leaves a foul taste in my mouth that I had not told her already. Especially when I now knew that Aramis had told his entire family about us.

She could no doubt tell the inner conflict on my face, as she gestured to the empty space in the bed beside her. I went and sat down, crossing my legs, adjusting the towel at my waist to keep myself covered before taking a deep breath.

Gods give me strength...

"It's Aramis." I said, bracing myself for any splashback of vengeful wrath from the best friend at my side. But instead she was composed. Smiling gently in my direction, for the briefest of moments, I wondered whether she was leading me into a false sense of security and was waiting to spring her trap.

"I'm happy for you, and angry at you. But mostly happy" She said, reassuringly, allowing me for what felt like an eternity, to relax with an exhale.

"But he's a Vampire"

"I'm aware..."

"But the way you acted when you found out..."

"Yeah... Still doesn't mean I'm not happy for you! I may not agree with it, entirely. And I'm gonna worry, oh boy, you bet your ass I'm gonna worry. He so much as raises a finger, even thinks about hurting you; I'll use a cheese grater on his dick to season the spaghetti I'll forcefully shove up his ass. But I am happy for you. You can believe that. Also believe how pissed I am for not telling me you're actively seeing someone. Fuck you for that" She laughed, to which I chuckled in response, unsure what to do with the imagery I was just presented with. But a weight was indeed lifted from my chest, and a whole lot of worry left with it. It is no doubt that this was the happiest I had been in a while, but that didn't stop the pang of worry I'd previously had when the occasional thought of telling anyone about my current relationship status.