The Full Moon

The gentle caress of the evening wind poured across my back, like the cool trellises of a spring-morning stream, laying itself over the pebbles of its bed. It caused me to shiver uncomfortably, it had been incredibly humid not but an hour earlier, and the sudden drop in temperature made me feel more wet than comfortable.

It was the middle of the week, five days after the fair. We'd never returned to the fair after seeing Flint, thinking it was better to avoid him at all cost. When peeking from the clouds; the moon poured a light of priceless silver that settled comfortably on the twisted, and gnarled tree bark. I wasn't too far from the manor. Victoria had finally relented in leaving me alone, my face all but totally healed, and while I had enjoyed her unwavering attention; there was only one person I wanted to spend my time with, and I was waiting to meet him.

"It's nice to know you're not bored of me" His sweet voice hummed through the air, snatching me from my own thoughts and causing me to jump slightly at the sudden interruption. He, of course, laughed, which caused me to grow flustered with embarrassment.

I watched as he stepped, gently from behind a tree that was slightly raised from the floor by an embankment of dirt. He never stumbled, or lost his balance when I watched him move. Each foot step was a proclamation of silent confidence, like placing it on that particular, individual, spot, had been practised a thousand-thousand times.

He hopped down from the embankment, landing a few feet from me with a feather-light huff, before approaching me, a sly grin on his face, and his hands clasped behind his back in a mischievously innocent manner.

"You're an ass" I spat as the redness of my cheeks began to settle, and I pushed feeble hands into the strength of his chest. He got dangerously close in his coy manner. His face an inch or two from my own, I couldn't stop my lip from quivering and I couldn't stop myself from noticing how much it was quivering.

He kissed me. But left me wanting as it lasted barely a second, my lips pawing after his as he stepped back, and leaving me pouting somewhat. Which was peculiar for me, as I don't pout.

"So, do you really think Flint is in cahoots with someone?" Aramis said, as he stepped in a playfully shifty manner. Shifting his balance from one leg to the other as he balanced perfectly on a knotwork of tree roots.

"Well... He doesn't strike me as someone smart enough to know the things he knows" I responded, a little disappointed that Aramis wasn't kissing me right now, but ultimately did understand the need to talk about it.

In the days that had passed, I had noticed some strange things happening, specifically with my phone. Unless I was going mad of course.

"And if my suspicions are correct... It's a Witch who is helping him..." I sighed, exasperated at the implication. A part of me couldn't believe that such a thing could be true, but I wasn't naive enough to not consider it a highly likely possibility. "But, whoever it is, I feel like they, at the very least, feel guilty about it. Which would explain why magic hasn't been used directly. Or it's someone who isn't very good. I think anyway... I want to believe at least that."

"Hey... I'm sorry to ask this but... Have you considered Victoria? She's the closest one to you right? The only one other than you that could reasonably have access to all your things? Like your phone?" Aramis suggested, I scrunched my face up at the thought. Turning away to rest my forearm against a tree.

"I hope not... No. She definitely wouldn't. I'm almost certain if she had that much of an issue, she wouldn't move others round like some cartoonish puppet master. She'd do it herself, and trust me... She may be a charmer, but she most definitely could do it herself."

"I suppose... She is charming" He smiled, I could tell he was eager to get the subject off Victoria. Even if he wasn't particularly convinced that it couldn't be her, and who could blame him, he seemed to understand that I wasn't too keen on the idea of even talking about it.