Three Months Waiting (Nobunaga Oda x Reader)

A/N: Guess who's started playing Ikemen Sengoku? This girl! And guess who's absolutely in love with Nobunaga Oda? I couldn't manage to get the premium story for his dramatic days gacha, but hopefully it's similar to what the story revealed from his POV. 

I do not own Ikemen Sengoku, any of its characters, or the picture. 

Warning: Contains spoilers for Nobunaga's dramatic route!

You disappeared in the fog, his name resounding on a desperate scream, and just like that his heart shattered as easily as glass, violent, glittering shards piercing the most vulnerable areas of his soul. A few heartbeats passed after you vanished in which he couldn't believe that you were actually gone, that you were 500 years away from him now, far beyond his reach. 

Nobunaga had believed your story about being from the future easily enough, but the fact that you had just been sucked back to your strange, modern world was jarring nonetheless. 

It was just...he couldn't believe it. You couldn't just be gone. Except you were. So terribly, impossibly gone it tore a gaping wound deep within him, defying his understanding of the natural world and making it all too clear how special you had become to him.

It was more painful than any physical wound he had ever endured, too painful. One second you were right in front of him, reaching for him, crying for him, and the next you weren't, torn away from the man who loved you most by the cruel hand of fate. Sure, he'd been the one to push you into the wormhole, saving you from dying in this storm, but that didn't make it any less painful. 

Grief and hurt welling inside of him, Nobunaga tipped his head back and cursed every god that ever was, roaring at the heavens even as lightning fell in deadly spears around him and rain pelted his tear-stained face. The world had never been quite fair with him and now to have the one person he loved so deeply ripped from his grasp? It was too much, even for him.

Despite knowing it wouldn't make any difference, he screamed your name, demanding you be returned to him. He received no answer accepting bone-rattling thunder.

For all his strength and ambition, Nobunaga barely had the will to drag himself out of that storm and not just lay down and let the lightning strike him or let the rain drown him in the mud. Now that he'd found you, he didn't want to live in a world without you and it would be so easy to give up. 

In the end, it was his promise to prove that he loved you across 500 years that gave him the determination to escape the storm. If he was truly never to see you again than he had to prove how much he loved you, how every part of him would always belong to you, just as you had once belonged to him. In the last moments before you were lost to him all he'd been able to say was "I love you." Maybe he should've come up with something more flowery and elevated, but he had never been one for over-complicated language and at the time it was all he could think to say.

He certainly hadn't said it enough when you were with him, something he regretted to his core.

Nobunaga was prepared to face an eternity without you, an eternity devoid of love and true happiness, but the gods he cursed for taking you away from him were apparently more merciful than he had given them credit for. 

When he returned to Azuchi, battered and heartbroken, he received news that made him actually feel hopeful for the first time in his life, if tentatively so. 

Mitsunari was pacing outside the castle gates, a strange book in his hands and an anxious expression on his face. Even though he knew his vassal was probably awaiting his return, Nobunaga walked right past him as he went through the gates, his eyes forward and distant as the other man followed insistently at his heels.