One Year Waiting (Masamune Date x Reader)

A/N: So I finished Masamune's dramatic route and decided to do the same thing I did for Nobunaga's dramatic route and write this fic from his point of view on their separation. Enjoy!

I do not own Ikemen Sengoku, any of its characters, or the picture.

Warning: spoilers for Masamune's dramatic route!

Did he really know what love was before he met you? Masamune didn't think so. No one had ever enraptured him as you had, in all your reckless, merciful, beautiful glory. No one had ever made his heart pound as you had.

It had taken everything in him to keep his cool when you disappeared through the smoke, burning your hands as you desperately tried to get to him through the flaming rubble. His heart had broken as you cried out to him, promising that you would return to him no matter how long it took. He only had time to promise to wait for you and tell you not to cry and show him the smile he loved so dearly before you were gone, taken 500 years away from him. 

No matter how much he wanted to give in to the pain and heartbreak that made everything hurt, Masamune had promised to die by your side and only after he had protected you to the end. As neither of those requirements were currently met, he summoned what strength he had left and shrugged off the beam that had fallen across his shoulders, gritting his teeth against the searing sensation on his skin. He managed to find his way down the hall despite the smoke that clogged his lungs and made his eyes water, but more fire and wreckage blocked his path, preventing him from reaching the safety of the outside.

Just when he thought he wouldn't be able to keep his promise to you, Masamune felt something slip from the inside of his tattered hakama, fluttering in the air in front of him before falling to the floor, its edges beginning to curl and blacken. The panic that rose in him was unlike anything he'd ever felt before and he snatched up the drawing you'd made for him before it could be damaged any further. Shoving the paper back into its place next to his heart, the change was instantaneous, determination replacing his momentary fear and hopelessness. He was not going to die here. He was going to live and see you again no matter what it took.

Renewing his struggles, Masamune fought through the flames and debris until he was wheezing and choking, ignoring the blood he could feel running down his skin. When an opening finally appeared, he barely had the strength to pull himself forward except a pair of hands shot out and grabbed him, hauling him across the burning floor until he emerged into the clouded light of day, drizzling rain pelting singed, raw skin. Through the pain, he realized it was Yukimura who had pulled him out and was now hovering over him, shouting something he couldn't hear, before falling into unconsciousness.

When he woke up, Masamune hoped with every piece of himself that he was in his futon at his manor in Azuchi and that you were laying beside him with that peaceful little smile you got whenever you were having a good dream. His hopes were quickly dashed as pain lanced through his battered body and he realized he was lying on stiff bedding in a doctor's home in Kyoto. Yukimura sat next to him, his back to the wall as he slept. Bandages covered his torso and he shot up, startling Yukimura awake as he looked around for his clothes.

"Damn it, Masamune! You're going to reopen your wounds!" The other warlord protested, but he wasn't listening, only relaxing when his eyes landed on the folded pile of burned blue and gray fabric beside him and the paper sitting atop it all. He breathed a sigh of relief as he picked it up and held it close, fingers running gently over the worn edges. Masamune was aware of Yukimura watching him, but didn't care. All that mattered was this little piece of you he still had left. "Masamune, what happened in there? Where's (y/n)? Is she...?" The implication in his words was clear and Masamune shook his head quickly.